Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience:  Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business
69602385

Hello, I just bought a home the appliances are older. My question

Hello, I just bought a home the appliances are older. My question is the GE Microwave HVM 1541 was working Great. It looks like it is working but nothing is heating and i tried several ways. Defrosting, presetting the time, the power is at 10....still nothing is heating. I unplugged it for a bit in case it needed to reset. Still no luck. It is a 2007

Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appl-Tech replied 11 months ago.

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!
Does the display count down when you press the start button?

Appl-Tech :

Also, the model number does not seem to be correct. Can you check it again please?

Customer:

Yes...it works like nothing is wrong until you find out food is cold. Everything else is normal. HVM1540

Appl-Tech :

I can not locate that model number. Are you getting it off the label inside the door frame?

Customer:

Sorry about that. 1540DM1WW Jan 2007

Appl-Tech :

That is not the correct number. The number should be on a small label with the serial number and model number. Normally it is around the inner door frame or on the inside wall of the micro.

Appl-Tech :

ok I figured it out it is HVM1540DM1WW

Appl-Tech :

Tell me again, when you prgrm the unit to cook and put time on the clock, when you press the start button, does the time just count down and stop at zero?

Customer:

Everything worked like it did except not heating. All display, all lighting, sll sound. You would think nothing was wrong.

Appl-Tech :

Does the display count down?

Appl-Tech :

Does the fan turn on and the tunr table turn?

Customer:

Ii can have it running like normal for 6 minutes with a half cup water. Water is still cold when i go to take it out

Customer:

Normally that water would have boiled over the top.

Appl-Tech :

Ok sorry for all the questions, but I am not there to see what it is doing, but from the description you have give me , I now feel you have a problem with the magnatron tube deep inside the microwave. It is the device that provides the energy that makes the water boil. You will have to take the micro down from the cabinet in order to effect a repair on it.
The cost of the magnatron tube is around 50-60 dollars and you will have to disassemble the machine in order to get access to it. If you were to have a service tech do it for you, you will probably have around 200-250 depending on the local service rates where you live. Here is a picture of the part

Appl-Tech :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Can this all be saved. We are doing remodeling and i have a friend coming in town i am sure we can handler it of i have this info.

Appl-Tech :

It can be fixed, I do it all the time. But it is a job and you will have to have some special tools to take it apart.

Appl-Tech :

Here is a video of replacing the mag tube on a GE. Most are similar in disassembly but there are differences. The video will give you an idea of whether you have the technical ability to tackle the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqN1sDgY6I8

Appl-Tech :

The part number for the mag tube is

WB27X10927

Appl-Tech :

You can google the number and check the get the best price

Customer:

She has about every tool possible. Unless it id just for this. They do a lot of remodeling and fix everything themselves. Have helped me in the past

Appl-Tech :

Well give it a shot, you have nothing to loose other than replacing the unit.

Appl-Tech :

Did you have any other questions for me tonight?

Customer:

Thank You SO much! You have helped someone that really appreciates it and had had a very difficult time lately. Thank you again!!!

Appl-Tech :

If you have been satisfied with my help and have no further questions for me, may I please ask that you rate my help as positive for JA today?
You may continue to ask me any follow-up questions after rating my help by hetting the "Save & Exit" Button. I will be notified by email of your request should you still need my help.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out with your question.

Customer:

Did that all go through? My phone has been a pain tonight.

Appl-Tech :

thankyou

Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Experience: Over twenty seven years in the appliance service business