Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

How do you open the top of an old Maytag washing machine?

How do you open the top of an old Maytag washing machine? I want to get at the lid closure switch.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
good evening , on these old washers you need to remove the front panel then the screws, give me a few minutes to get you some diagrams. be right back.
okay graphicfirst remove the two screw at the bottom of the front panel. the there are two bolts , one on each side going up into the top you need to remove. graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to ask another question, but what needs to be replaced if door switch no longer seems to function? Or is there a workaround, like bypassing the switch? Washer doesn't spin with lid closed.
oh okay I'm glad you clarified that because the lid switch assembly is in the top control area. and it actually has two switches and a fuse in it. Lid Switch Assembly 22001682 Main Product View now unfortunately you cant bypass these ones. you will need to replace it. its around $31.00 at this link. unplug the machine and take the screws out along the top of the control panel then tip it forward to access the switch.