Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag Centennial top load washer, model MVWC200XWO, wont

Customer Question

Maytag Centennial top load washer, model MVWC200XWO, won't move past drain cycle and all panel lights are off. The washer was working fine, mid-cycle but I'm not sure exactly what cycle it was on, when I pushed the pause button to add an item. Lid unlocked and as soon as I opened it, all the water pumped out. Maching continued to hum like it was stuck on drain cycle and unplugging was the only way to stop it. All lights are out, machine only hums like it's trying to drain, won't progress to spin cycle, lid is unlocked. It has been unplugged for two complete days. Plugging it in results in continual humming. What are my options?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a fairly unique issue but very easy to diagnose since only 1 thing can cause these symptoms your experiencing and that's the control board itself. It sounds like the control board inside the control panel shorted out and now the relay is stuck shut to the drain pump and won't illuminate the control panel anymore. There really isn't anything you can do but to replace this control board I'm afraid to say. Below is a link to the control board you'll need to order for your model number. The big downside is that the part is about $265 so it's not cheap at all, but it's the only way to fix the problem if unplugigng the unit didn't reset the issue. I'm really sorry for the bad news today, please understand it's really not something that is within my control.

CLICK HERE for control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. The machine is approx 1.5 years old. Do you think it's worth replacing the control board vs getting a new machine? Is it a complicated, expert only, repair job or something a person with limited (electrical) skills can handle?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
With such a new unit, I would think it's worth replacing if you can do it yourself. The job really is easy and the board itself is all plug and play so if you're handy at all you can replace the part yourself.

The only trick is getting into the control panel. There are 2 metal spring clips under the control panel. If you slide a putty knife under the control panel on the right and left side and push BACK, you will push back on these spring clips and the control panel will then hinge up and backwards so that you have access to replace the part.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Update: After discovering we had an extended warranty on the washer, we scheduled a service call. The tech reset the computer and the washer is now functioning properly.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm very glad you got it all up and running again. There really isn't a way to "reset" the control board other than just unplugging the unit for a period of time so it sounds like this is likely what they did.