Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Can you help me with a Kenmore refrigerator problem?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to be clear, ice is building up on the right side of the refrigerator compartment? Is that inside the refrigerator? I ask because the refrigerator shouldn't even be cold enough to freeze ice since it's a refrigerator and not a freezer.

Also, is this ice a clear sheet of ice or more like white frost or??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The ice is building up between the drawer and the wall of the refrigerator (outside the drawer). When you open the door, the frost is on the left side and is a frosted color not clear. we have adjusted the humidity down but the ice is till forming. The temperature is not freezing anything else in the normal refrigerator compartments. Veggies are not freezing, for example.

OK on the left side makes sense because the air from the freezer comes in through the ports on the left side of the refrigerator section. There is supposed to be a deflector in the air ducts that comes from the freezer to prevent air from migrating into the refrigerator section but allows the freezer to suck air from the refrigerator section. There is a clear plastic membrane that flaps open and closed inside to prevent the air from flowing back and it sounds like this deflector isn't working or sealing up properly anymore. I would order and replace the deflector itself. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Now the only other thing that would cause the issue is the small circular hole that supplies air into the bottom crisper drawer on the left side. If that's not sealing up anymore, you can get something like Perma Gum from the hardware store and plug the hole to prevent air from blowing into the refrigerator from the freezer down at the bottom crispers. The hole is generally there so that you can adjust the temperature of the bottom drawer to make it extra cold for "meats and deli" if you stored that in this area.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Sounds like a logical solution. I will give both ideas a try! Thanks so much for your advice!

Not a problem and I wish you only the best.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.