Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Miele gas cooktop model KM 326G. The main burner does

I have a Miele gas cooktop model KM 326G. The main burner does not turn off completely. Although the gas goes out the other 4 burners start to arc or click even though they are not turned on. If I turn on the main burner the clicking stops and I can light all burners. I am told that it can not be repaired because the cooktop is 10 years old and they do not make or carry the parts.

Do you have any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I can't say for certain whether the part is still made or not, but if it's not made, then it very well may not be repairable anymore. The part that has failed is your spark switch which is the part below the knob on your main burner. There is a switch for each burner actually below each knob. All these switches have wires that run to 1 spark module which is shared. That is why all the burners spark when you turn the main burner off. The cooktop thinks that you have the burner on even though you've turned it off, and since it doesn't sense a flame, the spark module continues to try to relight the burner.

Now that switch will need to be replaced to fix this problem and Miele is the only one that sells parts for Miele products so you'll need to contact them to see if the part is still made. Their number is XXXXX

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is what I have been told by Miele here but I spoke with a service rep at U.S. Miele and he suggested that the post itself may need readjustment.

The post itself does not need to be replaced for your particular problem, the spark switch would need to be replaced, but if the part isn't made anymore you really can't fix it---that would be the only hang up.