Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hi - Older model whirlpool ceramic top oven - broke ceramic

Hi - Older model whirlpool ceramic top oven - broke ceramic top and a burner. Found used replacement parts, replaced no problem (process wise) however....

When we plug in the stove nothing shows in digital display. When we turn the knob to activate burner, the display lights up with "no4 12:00".

I have searched extensively for this "no4" fault or error code, but not been able to come up with anything that tells me what this may mean. Does anyone out there know where I can find out what this is telling me - or can tell me directly what it means? Whirlpool oven model WPD86803.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! That is not a good error code, but the symptoms lead me to believe there is an issue with the power, specifically with the L1 input. Can you turn the breaker totally off and then back on and see if it makes any difference, please? Let me know what happens, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

:-) Which breaker? On house electrical, or do you mean pop the fuse on the stove? Popping the fuse makes no difference. (I forgot to mention - I replaced existing fuses with new, thinking that might be the problem).

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a meter to measure the voltage at the plug? Since the display only comes on when a burner is turned on, the L1 power is missing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm. No.

Is there any value in lifting the top and rechecking the connections to everything? I only replaced the one broken burner. I did not check the connections on any of the other burners, or the warning light section.

Also - when we turn on burner, there is a loud noise (sounds mechanical - something grinding?).

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That sound may be some arcing of the wires. You may want to verify it is wired correctly and nothing is shorting to ground. You definitely have an issue with the incoming power, though. I believe you may need an electrician or to purchase a test meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - thank you - that's what I needed to know!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!