Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Samsung RFG297AARS with poor cooling. Had a technician

I have a Samsung RFG297AARS with poor cooling. Had a technician out to take a look. Found low charge and leaks at all the solder joints. Had him recharge the system to see if it holds for now. Question is, can the solder joints be repaired? Can it be done with the system charged? Is there any kind of joint repair compound so I don't have to get back there with heat?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If it is leaking at the joints, the system will need to be totally evacuated, the filter drier changed and the joints cut, cleaned and resoldered. The exception is the joints at the evaporator that are epoxied because of the dissimilar metals (copper and aluminum) being joined. There is no way to repair the joints with anything other than brazing them together.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The technician stated something similar and that it would be easier to just buy another since I wouldn't know if I got them all. You can see the leaking coolant all most all the joints including the dissimilar metal joints

How old is the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only 4 years old. I've attached pics. You can see all the lovely green and drips on the bottom pan. Numerous places.

The green is simply areas of electrolysis and not likely to be leaking unless the copper is really breaking down. Did the technician leak test the unit with dye or how did he determine where the leaks were?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No leak test. He showed me that the charge was very low and pointed out the drips on the pan and there is stuff flaking off the joints he said is dried coolant.

That is not dried coolant, he is either inexperienced or looking to make a fast buck by condemning the refrigerator. Did he solder on a valve to look at the pressures?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looks like there is a clamped on valve on one of the lines

Okay, well that will certainly be a leak point if you choose to repair it. The leak is not at all of those solder joints. It is probably at the evaporator joints. Now, here is the GOOD NEWS!

That unit has a 5 year warranty on the sealed system! That repair will be covered under warranty if only 4 years old.

LIMITED WARRANTY TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER
This Samsung brand product, as supplied and distributed by Samsung Electronics America, Inc. (Samsung)
and delivered new, in the original carton to the original consumer purchaser, is warranted by Samsung against
manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for a limited warranty period of:
one (1) year Parts and Labor on Refrigerator
Five (5) years Parts and Labor on sealed Refrigeration system only*
(*Compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, connecting tubing)

To obtain warranty service, please contact Samsung at:
saMsunG CustoMER CaRE CEntER
Samsung Electronics America, Inc.XXXXXRidgefield Park, NJ 07660
1- 800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) y www.samsung.com