Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Bosch dishwasher is not filling and when it is filled manually

My Bosch dishwasher is not filling and when it is filled manually the spray arms are not spinning properly
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if you start the dishwasher and fill it manually, shut the door, then continue the cycle and wait about 2 minutes. Open the door and did all the water drain out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

OK so that I what I expected. Unfortunately your dishwasher is stuck in "flood mode". What that means is that water has worked it's way down into the base pan below the dishwasher tub causing the unit to do nothing but drain. This is normally caused by the drain being clogged or too many suds in the tub causing the tub to overflow a bit. Either way, you'll need to uninstall the dishwasher and tip it forward at a 45 degree angle to drain the water out of the base pan. Be sure to put a towel under the dishwasher first so that the water is soaked up in the towel instead of going all over the floor. Once you've drained all the water out of the base pan, reinstall the dishwasher and pour a gallon of water in the dishwasher. If it drains it out right away and doesn't wash or refill, you still have water left in the base pan to try again, otherwise you're good to go.

Now if you don't want to do all this work just to get your dishwasher working again and you have time, let the dishwasher just sit unused for a week and the water in the base pan will evaporate as time goes on and the dishwasher will start working again after a week.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not the problem, the dishwasher has been broken for a month, and has been sitting. I did what you said though and no water came out. This dishwasher is out from under the counter now and still not filling

OK so there is nothing else that would relate the pump with the dishwasher and cause the water to drain out after you've filled it in the middle of a cycle. You need to pull the unit out and remove the left side panel because the unit is in flood mode whether there is water in the base or not. Remove the left side panel and make sure the styrofoam float is seated on the floor and something like a mouse didn't knock it in the up position. If the unit still drains all the time and won't fill---replace the control board.

Now if the unit Isn't draining all the time, then re-check the test I had you try before. If it's not draining all the time, you'd need both an electronic water valve and then because the unit hasn't been used for a month, the circulation pump has seized up and the impeller seal kit would need to be replaced because the impeller is seized up from not being used.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking at parts for the dishwasher and I only see a water valve inlet, no electronic water valve.

Those terms are interchangeable. The water valve inlet is the same as the electronic water valve. The part number for the valve is 00425458.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the water inlet valve and the dishwasher still does not fill with water

Is the dishwasher stuck in drain all the time? If it's still not stuck in drain, then you'll need to test power at the water valve when it should be filling. If you have 120 volts going to the valve and water isn't coming in, something is still wrong with the valve or water isn't getting to the dishwasher for some reason. If you're not getting 120 volts, then you'd need to follow the wires up through the door and if none of them are broken, replace the control board although this is really a rare issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not stuck in drain, I will test the power at the valve

OK, also if you have a stainless steel braided hose going to the valve from your house, that might be a problem if it's activating the flood mode preventer so you'd need to get a different hose if it's getting 120 volts at the valve and you're sure you have water coming from the house.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does the stainless steel hose do to activate the flood mode preventer?

It's just based on pressure. If there is too much pressure or air, it will close off internally and not allow water through because it thinks the hose burst.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the hose is braided nylon, when manually filled the dishwasher will run, the arms do not spin and then it drains. If there is no water in the dishwasher it does not fill, the new valve is getting adequate power. There is water going to the valve. I have unplugged and replugged in all of the connections to the control board.

If you're getting 120 volts to the valve between the 2 wires going to the valve, then you either have a floodsafe hose that is stopping the water from getting to the dishwasher, or you got a defective valve. To see if the valve is a problem, disconnect the hose at your house under the sink. Wait for the valve to receive 120 volts and then blow through the water line. If you can blow through the water line, then your valve is definitely good. If you can't blow through it, disconnect the water line from the valve and see if you can blow through the hose. if not, replace the hose otherwise return the valve and replace it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

not a problem, sorry you're still struggling with this issue