The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

clothes washer maytag moans and stops

Customer Question

clothes washer
maytag moans and stops
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
You most likely have something stuck in the pump assembly.
This is easy to get to and check/clean out.
Please give me a few minuets to compile the information for you.
Thank you.
Sorry for the wait, Frank.
What you need to do is access the back of the unit. There is a cover plate with about 8 1/4" hex head screws that you remove to get to the pump assembly.
Once you have it off see the instruction sheet below to disassemble the pump and clean it out. You can also inspect the pump impellar for any damage at the same time.
Clean out any debris and reassemble the pump. That should get you going again.
Let me know if you have any other concerns.
Regards, Smitty
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Smithy, thanks that sure looks easy enough.

but this is a stackable. will i easily be able to get into it?.

All you need to do is pull it away from the wall.
The page came from the factory repair manual for the stackable series.
Would you like a complete copy of the manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i would.

thanks

Here you go. =)
Please click here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That will help me. thank you.

what about that whining during the high speed spin. not related to the other

problem. but i heard it during a test run with nothing in it and middle a little

for a second. at the end of the high speed spin it was again a high whine

for 3 or 4 seconds. alsmost like during the breaking and slowing down.

any input?

That sounds like a bearing and seal going out. It will get progressively worse as the bearings get worn out.
There is a bearing and seal replacement kit you can purchase and install yourself if you are the handy type.
The link below will take you to get the part. There is even a video showing how to do the job if you scroll down a bit.
Please click here to order the kit.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

smithy,

thanks have a great day

frank

You are welcome, Frank.
In th efuture if you would like me to reply to your questions personally just include "for the Home Smithy", or "For Smitty"
I will be happy to assist you again.
Best, Smitty