Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My refrigerator quit cooling today. The fan runs. I checked

My refrigerator quit cooling today. The fan runs. I checked and cleaned the coils. the compressor tries to start but won't. It clicks like the start relay is bad. can I replace that myself or do I need a professional?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You can definitely replace the start relay by yourself, but you won't be able to replace the compressor if the compressor is the issue. To access the start relay, pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor. The relay may have a retaining clip on it that you need to pop off first, otherwise if you just slide a flat head screwdriver between the overload relay and compressor and pry out, it will pop the start device off.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!