Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore Model 110.79622800 series 600 gas dryer.

I have a Kenmore Model 110.79622800 series 600 gas dryer. When I push the start button it sounds like it's going to start but it doesn't activate.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you explain what you mean by "sounds like it's going to start"?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The switch that says "push to start dryer" on the panel, when pushed, sounds like it's engaging but the dryer doesn't start.

So you hear a humming noise like the motor is trying to run? Or what do you mean "sounds like it's engaging"? And does the noise go away when you let go of the button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it's a humming noise that starts when I push and stops when I release the button.

OK so that means that the motor is definitely getting power. If you open the door, turn the drum and make sure that the drum isn't seized. Then try to start the dryer up again because sometimes just moving the drum will move the motor and reset it. If it still won't reset and the motor isn't seized, the motor itself would need to be replaced. Below is a link to the motor you'd need to replace as well as a video that shows you how to replace the motor at the bottom of the link.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yippee! Moving the drum worked! Thank you very much. One more question: if it makes an occasional squeaking sound while rotating, is that a problem?

Hmm, I'm really need to hear the squeaking noise, but that could come from the motor or the drum rollers below the drum that support the drum. I wouldn't worry too much about it since the problem is just sporadic at this point. Once it becomes more consistent you can take the dryer apart and try to spin the different devices to see which one is noisy.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.