Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

There is water collecting on the floor under the front of my

There is water collecting on the floor under the front of my refrigerator. There is no obvious dampness inside or at the water line connection from the wall. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 8 months ago.

Repairman1981 :

what type of refrigerator do you have? And can you post the model number that would help a LOT? Thanks!

Customer:

IT's a Whirlpool, side by side with ice and water in the door. Where is the model listed?

Repairman1981 :

fresh food side upper right wall near the ceiling

Repairman1981 :

Whirlpool side by side probably tells me what I need. How much water do you have a few drops or running water type spill?

Customer:

ED5VHEXVB06

Repairman1981 :

do you see ANY ice on the floor of the freezer under the drawer?

Customer:

I'd say few tablesoons full.

Customer:

Let me check that.

Repairman1981 :

most likely a clogged defrost drain, if there is ice on the floor that confirms it

Customer:

No, no ice under the drawer in the freezer. The water leak is under the fresh food side.

Repairman1981 :

take the drawer out maybe both of the drawers in the fresh food side, look for water on the floor, if there is none, then run water through the door, see if there is any afterwords. If there still isn't then we'll need to take the grill off the front and lay in the floor and look back under there to see if the valve or plumbing is leaking. We're looking for the source. There is a refrigerated tank in the fridge that could have busted and leaks when water is ran through it

Customer:

ok.just a minute

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer:

no water under the drawers. no leak noticed when I ran water through the door.

Repairman1981 :

ok then that means it has to be coming from underneath. Before we progress (it gets a bit harder to find) are you CERTAIN no one spilled anything and that there are no appliances on that side that could have leaked besides the fridge? Because a few tablespoons full and where it's at isn't a likely fridge leak. Could have been a piece of ice dropped that melted. Where it's leaking isn't that common.

Customer:

No. we dried up what was there, pulled the fridge out from the wall and after about a hour there was the leak again.

Repairman1981 :

have you checked the door gasket to see if it's leaking any air? Could be sweating near the gasket if the gasket isn't touching all the way around (specifically the bottom or right side)

Customer:

I'll check

Customer:

It's tight.

Customer:

There is water underneath the center of the fridge that is draining to the right side, maybe due to uneven floor.

Repairman1981 :

do you have a filter in the grille of yours?

Repairman1981 :

haven't pulled your model up since this is kinda general at the moment

Customer:

yes, we took the grill off but the filter is there at the bottom.

Customer:

Feels dry around what I can reach

Repairman1981 :

if you look around that filter housing no water leaks and the pan under it is dry?

Customer:

I don't think there is a pan under it

Repairman1981 :

lemme pull your model up

Repairman1981 :

should be a pan under it, but it's a mute point ...... well actually what is the story on this unit

Repairman1981 :

New used, how long have you had it?

Customer:

Bought new in August 2 years ago; had several problems with it and it was replaced with a new one about 3 months after purchase, so this one has not had problems

Repairman1981 :

ok there HAS to be a pan under the filter housing ..... the defrost water goes into it 2x a day. Unless someone removed the pan recently (when the leak started) and then we'd have your answer. But it's a black pan so you might not see it. do you have someone there with you that could get a glass of water while you watch under it?

Customer:

Yes, just a minute

Repairman1981 :

k

Customer:

Didn't see any dripping. I did find the pan. It barely has any water in it.

Repairman1981 :

so defrost water is ruled out completely ..... we know the drain isn't backing up ..... I'm gonna say a line has to be spraying either when the icemaker is filling or the door is running ..... have you had it out from the wall very long? If so where is the dripping now that it's moved? Just dead center under the bottom?

Repairman1981 :

The only plumbing running under the bottom is the line to the door .... unless it's dripping more toward the back and running forward

Customer:

Hard to say. It is not the back for sure. We have had it out for a couple hours now.

Repairman1981 :

and everywhere you look is fine, back front under etc?

Customer:

The puddle is still toward the corner of the fresh food area, on the floorl

Repairman1981 :

but you said it's kinda wet in the center just running to the fresh food side correct?

Repairman1981 :

any sweat around the door frames?

Customer:

That's correct, I think. No, no sweat.

Repairman1981 :

the only problem is that you have checked everywhere water goes on this .... can you open the doors and take a picture to post (or text) to me so I can see what you see ... maybe I'll see something out of the ordinary .... take the pic from down near the floor in the center

Customer:

ok

Repairman1981 :

If you can post here that's best but if you can't I can have you just text it to me

Customer:

Well, there's nothing to take a picture of now. My husband wiped up the water and pushed the fridge back.

Repairman1981 :

how long before the water comes back you think?

Customer:

Maybe 15 minutes?

Repairman1981 :

I can wait

Customer:

OK

Repairman1981 :

I kinda think we're almost to a stopping point if I can't see anything. I know these fridges inside and out .... and since there is no water there it almost has to be a sweating kinda thing, but if the seals are in tact ... I'm almost out of ideas. Where are you located (city/state)?

Customer:

MARIETTA GA

Customer:

My big concern is that I am leaving town tomorrow for the weekend.

Repairman1981 :

well I will tell you to turn the water off before you go out of town, and if it's just sweat/defrost water it won't be enough to hurt anything

Repairman1981 :

Marietta is a bit to far for me (Nashville, TN here) I was just thinking if you were close I could lay eyes on it and tell you for sure what's going on

Customer:

Thanks, anyway. We just pushed the fridge back in place and no water. Don't know what to say.....

Repairman1981 :

I'm really thinking something must have spilled ..... either that or the hose to the door has a leak and it's so small you can barely see it, so it's just a bit of water when that's ran

Repairman1981 :

I have had valves cracked so small that I couldn't barely see the stream and I'm holding the valve

Repairman1981 :

So it's possible, just not real likely you would miss it laying on the floor looking for it

Customer:

If I turn the water supply off, it should be OK?

Repairman1981 :

it WILL be ok with the water supply off .... maybe put a small towel down if you have delicate wood floors

Repairman1981 :

But it's not gonna be cups even if every drop of defrost water got on there .... and we have checked everywhere defrost water goes .... I believe it's with the water lines

Customer:

No, tile, but I will put down a towel. Thanks for your help.

Repairman1981 :

sorry I couldn't give you a 100% firm answer .... I know with enough checking we could get there but it's likely leaking far enough back in there you would need a flashlight and a bit of luck to see it doing it.

Repairman1981 :

If you need a referral on a company or anything lemme know. Have a safe trip

Customer:

And a periscope!

Customer:

Thanks.

Repairman1981 :

:)

Customer:

Goodnight.

Repairman1981 :

you to

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands