Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Rob, We have exactly the problem you are describing with the

Rob,
We have exactly the problem you are describing with the cycle running forever because the water is not heating up. Our dishwasher is 7 years old, not included in the recall and has a custom made wood panel attached to the front. We also have a significant distance between us and the nearest repair service listed on the bosch web site.
1. Can I diagnose it and repair it myself?
2. What would it cost to repair?
3. Is it worth it if it is 7 years old?
4. A stretch question but do wood panels transfer easily to new models?
Thanks for your time

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

Can I get the 2 digits at the end of your model number after the "UC"? The full model should be located on a sticker on the right side of the door and can be seen if you open the door.

Tyler Z. :

Are you still with me?

Customer:

yes

Tyler Z. :

Well, Hello again

Customer:

30

Tyler Z. :

OK perfect

Tyler Z. :

So as you know, your unit wasn't one of the ones under the recall, but that doesn't mean you don't have the same issue. It just means that Bosch wasn't forced to do a recall on the unit.

Customer:

figured

Tyler Z. :

This is a very common issue and it means that your control board inside the door has failed. There is a relay on the board that shorts out. This relay sends power to the heater, so when it fails the dishwasher doesn't wash well and it will run forever trying to heat the water which will never happen. Below is a link to the control board in the upper right hand corner of the door you'll need to replace in order to fix the problem. The part costs about $160 + shipping.

CLICK HERE

To access the control board, just open the door and remove all the screws around the border of the door except the 2 down by the bottom of the door hinge, just loosen those two. Once you have those out, remove the 2 coming in from the sides of the control panel (left and right). The control panel will then pull off and you can access the control board inside. Remove the control panel and separate the control board from the control panel, then switch over connections one at a time and you should be good to go again.

Customer:

wow

Tyler Z. :

yeah, it's definitely not good news I'm afraid

Tyler Z. :

I've probably replaced 300+ control board for this problem so it's really a common problem. Some were recalled because they were catching on fire, but unless it's a danger to the customer or house manufactures don't usually recall the units

Customer:

any idea on the transferability of the wood panel if we got a new version?

Customer:

what would it cost to have a service person do this?

Tyler Z. :

So it would transfer onto almost any dishwasher since this is a standard size dishwasher, but the mounting hardware would need to be changed out

Tyler Z. :

It would need to be a tall tub dishwasher just like the one you have to transfer the panel of course

Tyler Z. :

As for the cost to have a service person replace the control board, it's usually about $250-275 with parts, trip, and labor since the labor really is only about 15 minutes.

Tyler Z. :

Was there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

do you live in south central pa and feel like fixing it?

Customer:

thanks for your help

Customer:

great service

Tyler Z. :

Haha. I don't mind fixing these at all since they are quite quick, but unfortunately I'm out of Colorado.

Tyler Z. :

Not a problem at all

Tyler Z. :

And if you nee anything else, please just let me know.

Customer:

I'm finished

Tyler Z. :

Alright. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z. :

Sorry

Tyler Z. :

I had my rating shut off

Tyler Z. :

It has been turned on now

Tyler Z. :

You have a great day