Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (PSI23NGPC).

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (PSI23NGPC). The freezer temperature varies between the set temp of 0 up to about 16. The refrigerator side maintains a temp of 37. The compressor was replaced for this problem abut 6 months ago by a GE authorized technician. Now the problem is back. I took the plate off the freezer back wall and found ice on the 2 bottom coils. The rest were ice free. Any suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're only getting a partial frost pattern on the coils, then that is either a freon leak or an issue with the compressor/overload relay on the compressor. You'll need to pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel to see the compressor. If the compressor is running constantly and only 2 coils are frosting up, then you have a freon leak likely something created from the compressor being serviced. If the compressor is blazing hot and it keeps turn on and shutting off, then your overload relay is likely bad. Now if your compressor is just never running, most likely you have either a bad compressor or the relay on your control board is beginning to fail and it's not sending power to the compressor to run very often.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since the compressor was replaced for this problem, and it seemed to be solved for several months, do you think I've got a leak somewhere in the system? Could it be found and repaired? Or, is it time for a new refrigerator?

It takes a long time for a leak in the system to show up depending on how bad the leak it. Sometimes it can take years. Yes a leak can be found, sometimes it requires installing a dye drier on the system and recharging the unit then coming back to find the dye, but leaks can be found.