Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi Larry, we have a Bosch side by side refrigerator model B20cs50sns101.

Customer Question

Hi Larry, we have a Bosch side by side refrigerator model B20cs50sns101. Last week the control panel changed to reading Celsius on its own, that was strange but whatever. Yesterday we discovers that the freezer was not freezing anymore, frig part is fine. The fan runs in the freezer and frig with doors shut. I remembered this morning that the frig has not made its usual moaning sound for 30 seconds a few times a day? I guess this is the defrost for the coils. What is your best guess and where can I get the parts? Thanks, Andrew
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So first, you can get parts at Repairclinic.com . But if your refrigerator still cools and your freezer does not, chances are your overload relay (the device attached to the side of the compressor) has failed and isn't starting up the compressor. If you wanted to confirm, you'd need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to see the silver coils behind. if there isn't a thin layer of frost across all the coils, then it means your compressor is either not running or your have a freon leak. If you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel you can see the big black round compressor. If it's running and it's just slightly warm, then you possibly have a freon leak. If it's blazing hot or room temperature, then your overload relay will likely need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much, it was the problem and I just received the part from Bosch and popped it in. You saved me a great deal of time knowing where to start!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Awesome, I'm glad it's all up and running again!