Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We own a Jenn Air built in microwave - Model JMV8196AAS built

We own a Jenn Air built in microwave - Model JMV8196AAS built in 04/04. Ocasionally when pushing the start button, the main electrical box 20 AMP breaker trips. We had the breaker replaced but the problem persists. What is the problem, who can repair it and what is your estimate of the repair cost? Would it be more cost effective to just purchase a new unit?

Thank you,

Rich
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hi Rich, sounds to me like the magnetron is on it's way out, It's possible it is arcing, Either way it's going to be a problem with the HV system that will cost quite allot to have a repair guy fix. Unfortunately Microwaves are made these days to be throw away because of the relatively cheap cost to buy.

This would not be a good diy fix either because the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please reply with any further questions you may have.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Mike, Sounds like you are saying to just dump this unit and buy a new one. Is 9 years the normal life expectancy of a microwave? That seems like somewhat of short lifespan to me. Are there other brand(s) that you think are more dependable?

The normal life is normally around the 10-15 year mark. I personally recommend whirlpool, this is because they are a very reliable make plus the parts for their appliances are cheap and allot cheaper to repair.

Thanks!

Mike.