Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer stopped mid-cycle full of water. When i try to restart

My washer stopped mid-cycle full of water. When i try to restart the washer makes a humming noise, but does not start. Is there a way to reset?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Have you moved the timer to see if it will drain or spin or agitate? Does any setting work?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wont run at any setting. Just get an electric humming sound.

OK so by fart he best thing to do is drain the water out manually with a cup and bucket as far as you can (or with a wet vac if you have one) and tip the washer back so that you can access under the bottom of the washer. Disconnect the belt and spin all the pulleys under the washer by hand both directions. Usually on this model the pulley on the far right is going to not spin smoothly and grinds a bit or one of the pulleys won't turn at all, can you see if that is the case?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After fiddling with the timer, I got the spin/drain cycle to start and finish. Thought I'd try starting a new cycle after it drained/spun. New cycle started fine, but when agitation started it made an 'im binding' noise and stopped running. Now timer is not working at all (no clicking or load noise when turning on). Once I get the water out should I still check the pulleys?

Yes, you'll want to do exactly as I advised before and check the pulleys. Then let me know what you find and I can help you from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, both small pulleys turn freely. The large central pulley turns freely counter-clockwise, but locks up after a few rotations clockwise. Briefly reversing directions will free up the pulley to once again turn clockwise for a couple of turns before again locking up.

OK so unfortunately that large center pulley is your transmission. If it's locking up going one direction, the entire transmission would need to be replaced which is about $350 to have replaced. It may not be worth replacing the transmission since the unit is probably almost 10 years old now, but that's completely up to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was afraid of that. Is replacing a transmission pretty labor intensive? Thinking DIY. Are any special tools required?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate the quick responses

It's rather rather intensive and it does require two specialty tools to remove the brake and the hub assembly that holds the inner basket.