Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer that wont start. The lights

I have a Whirlpool Duet Dryer that won't start. The lights are working on the control panel. The interior light does not come on when the door is open. When I hold down start, I get 2 beeps but it doesn't run.

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

Can you press and hold the start button and then wait 3 minutes and watch the display. Does the display count down after the 2 beeps even though it won't run?

Customer:

I'll try that...

Tyler Z. :

OK perfect, just let me know.

Customer:

Display is flashing....

Customer:

(BTW, the door doesn't lock when I press start either)

Customer:

Still flashing, but no count down

Tyler Z. :

Alright, so this means that your dryer doesn't think that your door is shut. Open the door and push in on the light/door switch. Slide your finger off of the light/door switch and let it fling back out. Do this a few times and see if that will reset the switch. If not, then you door switch has failed and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

If the door switch has failed wouldn't the light stay on (because it thinks the door is open)?

Customer:

I checked the bulb and the breaker is intact

Tyler Z. :

Unfortunately that's not the way this switch normally fails. It just makes bad contact and doesn't give a good signal to the control board that the door is shut

Tyler Z. :

The switch you need to order is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNand below is a link to the switch for your model

CLICK HERE for switch

Customer:

We actually have 2 of these dryers, so I will switch out the switch (ha ha) with the other dryer to see if that works...hold on for up to 5 minutes

Tyler Z. :

OK good luck

Customer:

Hot damn...that was easy! You're great

Tyler Z. :

Not a problem at all. Glad I could help today

Customer:

See ya

Tyler Z. :

Aye, have a great day and if you need anything else, just let me know