Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

kenmore toploading washer : the agitator immediately begins

kenmore toploading washer : the agitator immediately begins as tub fills with water. Though set on regular wash, it will agitate for a heavy cycle or intermittent gentle cycle. Spin cycle leaves clothes too wet. Seems to have a mind of its own.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are really only 2 parts which can cause the agitator to start immediately when the tub is filling with water. Those two parts are the pressure switch in your control panel, and the main control timer in your control panel. The pressure switch is the only part inside your control panel that has a small rubber hose going to it. There are also 3 wires going to the switch and if you disconnect the wires and test continuity best any 2 combination of pins, you should only have continuity between 1 combination (total of 3 combinations). If you have continuity between 2 or 3 combinations, you need a new pressure switch.

Now if the pressure switch tests good, you just need a new main control timer because it's sending power when it shouldn't.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is this something I could easily fix myself? I am not mechanically inclined. Is it worth calling in a repair person? This machine was purchased in 1997.

So if you're not mechanically inclined I would probably leave it to a repairman. As for the cost of fixing it, if you needed the pressure switch it would likely cost about $160 or so to have replaced, a new timer would be about $225 or so to have replaced so a timer may not be worth fixing on a unit that is 16 years old.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.