SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

I have a 1-2 year old Frigidaire fridge, FFUI1826WMO. This

I have a 1-2 year old Frigidaire fridge, FFUI1826WMO. This afternoon it was warm inside the fridge. Took lower back panel off and vacuumed all the dust to start. Saw that the 1/2 inch wide foam strip over the coil cooling fan had slipped down and was jamming the fan. Thought I had fixed it.

Plugged it back in and the cooling fan was working. At first the compressor did not seem to start, then it did. The copper line coming out and going up into the fridge got cold immediately, then back to room temp in less than two minutes.

Everything is running now and the freezer seems like it is OK. The fridge is barely cool although the thermostat is at the coldest setting. The vent at the top in the back behind the light feels cool and some dampness is on the glass shelf just under it. I also felt way down at the bottom where the lower vents are. Feels cooler than the rest of the fridge.

So, even though it sounds like the recirculating fan is on, there is no cooling. At first I thought it might be the Run Capacitor because there wan only one or two sporadic 'clicks' when I was lying down back there. The compressor is running but what is it doing? Is it the compressor? What effect did the jammed cooling coil fan have on what is happening now? The coils are warm, but shouldn't they be hot? Why does the freezer feel cold? Is the fridge recirculating fan not working? Do I need to replace the Run Capacitor? Is something else wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 9 months ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. A stalled or non working condenser fan (near compressor) can cause the compressor to overheat and loose efficiency or fail completely. With the unit running do you A) feel the compressor shaking B) there should be 2 lines from the compressor, how hot is the smaller line 6"-10" down from the compressor?

Customer:

The compressor is not shaking but it IS running smoothly. I am guessing the compressor itself feels like about 120 degrees, just as the thin line coming out of it. The coil stack is warm but not hot. The fridge now seems to be slowly cooling down.

Customer:

So maybe the compressor was 'off it's axis' for a while? Maybe running at 50%?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

How long since turned it back on? The line is the same temp as the compressor? It should be about 20f hotter.

Customer:

You are right, The line IS HOTTER. 20 degrees at least. So, all that is normal, so far? What about the 'click' I heard earlier after I first took the foam out of the fan? It was plugged in and nothing was happening. Then a click. Then nothing. Then a click later and nothing. That is why I thought it was the Capacitor. That does not appear to be a problem, though, does it?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The click is the overload on the compressor, from the compressor getting to hot, Its a safety meant to stop you from frying the compressor. Sounds like you may have done a little wear to the compressor and its a little slow. Bear in mind that getting cold is a lot harder than staying cold. At this point I would monitor it and see how you are after another 12 hours or so.

Customer:

I just went back and checked. Even though I have it at the coldest setting it has cycled and now the compressor and cooling fan are off. Would that be normal even though the fridge is no cooler than 50 degrees? Would the fridge normally cycle off on a coolup with the thermostat pegged at the coldest setting?

Customer:

Or cool down, not sure which is correct, lol..

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The overload stops only the compressor so if the rear fans not getting power than the thermostat is open, How long was it running? It may have entered timed defrost.

Customer:

It was probably running for 60 minutes at least

Customer:

I am under strict orders to make a late night ice run and put a bunch of things in a cooler. Guess I should go and do that. Will unplugging and replugging bypass/cancel the defrost cycle? AND, the big question: If it really can't get back to the cool temps like a normal fridge, what would I need to replave? The compressor? That means a pro because it also needs a refrigerant refill, right?

Customer:

*replace

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

unplugging it sadly won't change defrost, the board remembers, At this point It a safe bet you should be ok. You found an obvious problem and fixed it and the compressor is ok, maybe slow but ok. If not them you would have to check the thermostat. You would have to buy a lot of tools to do refrigerant work but you should n't need to do anything that drastic.

Customer:

Yes, I agree. Just after I sent that last note it came back on. Everything is working and the skinny line from the compressor is HOT! Inside the fridge is getting slowly colder, which is good. As you said, takes a bit longer to get back down to fridge temp! Thank you for all your advice. I will give you an Excellent. Pleasure getting real answers from you!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Glad to hear it! Have a great day.

Customer:

Or evening. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Where are you?

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman