The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

trash compactor model GCG1580SS. Just started compacting and

trash compactor model GCG1580SS. Just started compacting and then tried to open door before cycle ended. It will now not finish cycle, door will not open farther nor will it close. It is almost like it has no power.

We turned it on and off at breaker box.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
What you need to do is remove the unit from under the counter and tip it on its back.
Remove the cover plate from the bottom and manually retract the ram by turning the gears. Once the ram is all the way at the top position the upper limit switch will be triggered and reset the unit for the next cycle.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Regards, Smitty
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were unable to get access to the screws for the kickplate -- we needed an offset (?) driver. But managed to wiggle the door around enough to get the lever lock (?) back in place and it reset.

Thats great, Pete.
Let me know if you need additional assistance.
Best, Smitty