Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Ive got an old White Westinghouse fridge that stopped cooling.

I've got an old White Westinghouse fridge that stopped cooling. Then it started again and worked fine for 3-4 days. Now it has stopped working again. Is there anything that could be wrong with it that would make it worth fixing? Thanks

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..when it stops cooling does it go quiet no fan or compressor noise? thx

Customer:

I can hear the fan. To be honest it is at my mother's so I haven't really spent any time near it. She told me it wasn't working and I went and it was fine. When I just looked earlier and a few minutes ago it sounded like fan but no compressor.

Customer:

And thank you for picking up my question

Randy 43 :

,right now it is cooling however? when the fan is running so should the compressor

Customer:

no, it's sitting at about 65 degrees

Randy 43 :

65 deg and the fan in the freezer is running? no compressor , your not sure if the compressor is trying to start ? or if it is hot?

Customer:

let me go look, it's in the other room

Customer:

well, the fan is running, but I don't think the compressor is, (assuming that is possible). I did here a "click", that sounded like something was trying to turn on and didn't.

Randy 43 :

ok , that is the compressor trying to start , when the fan comes on the compressor should as well , if the compressor is bad you dont have any cooling in the fridge , the fan just circulates air ,no cooling,..looks like you have a compressor issue ,that is pretty expensive , for a smaller fridge like that it will probably be cheaper to just buy a new one , sometimes you might get lucky and the start relay device is burned up and you can replace that ,but if it looks ok and no burns or melted plastic you would need the compressor itself

Randy 43 :

this is the start device i was talking about

Randy 43 :

Start Device - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #NNN-NN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Customer:

sorry, that's the relay? and it show signs of burning?

Randy 43 :

you can try wiggling the wires to the compressor and see if you hear anything or if it starts up

Randy 43 :

that is the relay , there is a overload , it shouldnt show any signs of shorting or burning

Customer:

Ok, cool....i guess I'll have to get dusty. Thanks for the advice, I was expecting it would have to be junked

Randy 43 :

it may still if the relay/overload checks out ,compressor repairs can be $600-$800 nowadays

Customer:

great, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that is all I need to know. Well one other thing, is the relay a pretty simple fix.

Customer:

Ha, I can get a new one for $400, seems like a pretty easy decision. Thanks

Randy 43 :

yes ,it just clips onto the 3 pins of the compressor ,couple wires ,easy to change , definately check that first

Customer:

OK, last question for real this time.....I haven't looked that close behind it, should it be exposed or will there be covers to take off?

Randy 43 :

some have a cover others have a wire that hold it in place

Customer:

Ok, great, thanks again. I'll go play around with it. Appreciate the help.

Randy 43 :

covers have a metal band that secures it