Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is not working. No water seems

I have a Maytag dishwasher that is not working. No water seems to be coming in to the dishwasher. It is approx. 11 yrs old. Is it worth trying to fix, or is it time to replace?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Most likely if you can do the work yourself, this issue would be worth fixing because all parts except a bad main control unit would be fairly inexpensive to fix. If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is stuck in the up position. Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am trying to adjust the float switch. It seemed to be in a down position, but I pulled it up and down a couple times, now I'm trying a rinse cycle....

OK good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, now it seems to get water in it, but no water seems to be coming out of the spinning arms, in fact they don't seem to be spinning...when I open the door and look quickly, they haven't moved

If you have enough water and it won't push water out the spray arms, it's time for a new dishwasher because your pump has gone bad and that will cost as much as a new dishwasher to replace.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that is what I thought! Good to have it confirmed for me, thanks.

Not a problem and sorry about the bad news today. Hoped it would be a simple water issue, but now that you're getting water, it sounds like you have bigger problems.