Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Samsung washer WF316BAC/XAA is having trouble draining.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately there is no drain catch for this particular model. But you are correct that "nd" means no drain. The door will not unlock and the unit will not wash or rinse until the water is drained from the washer. You need to pull the washer forward and remove the screws coming into the back panel. Remove the back panel and you can see the drain pump mounted to the floor below the tub. You need to be ready with a wet vac or a lot of towels because the next part is disconnecting the hoses from the drain pump. Make sure the washer is unplugged, then disconnect the hoses and remove the drain pump. Check for any debris in the drain pump. If you find nothing, then replace the drain pump. Otherwise just remove the debris and you'll be good to go again. Below is a link to the drain pump youd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you read my "what have you tried so far" entry? So are you saying that you think the pump has gone bad and needs to be replaced? I should mention that I replaced the entire drain pump assembly less than a year ago.

Yes, I have read everything you wrote. But I would check inside the pump and the hose between the drain pump and the tub. If either part has something inside of it (not the drain hose keep in mind), then your pump is just bad and needs to be replaced. Now to be 100% sure, you can test power at the drain pump when it should be draining and you should have 120 volts to the drain pump and if not then you'd have a bad control board instead. But these pumps in general don't have a great track record so unfortunately it's not all that surprising that one has failed in less than a year--I've seen a few myself that have done the same.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I do need to get into the machine to replace the control board, can you recommend the best way to do so? I am assuming the control board is located behind the control panel at the front of the machine.

So the main relay board is actually under the top panel, not the display board itself. To access, just pull the washer forward and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off and you have complete access to the main relay board if you need to replace it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back to your suggestion to test voltage at the pump. I do have a voltmeter in my tool kit, but I am not an electrician. Can you describe where I need to place the voltmeter probes to test the motor?

There are two wires going to the drain pump. Just disconnect the wire plug going to the pump and test power between the 2 wires when the washer should be draining. You should have 120 volts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if I don't have 120 volts that means that the control board isn't powering the pump correctly?

That is correct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if I do end up needing to replace the control board, is it a "plug-and-play" setup, or are there specific issues I will need to be aware of?

It's all plug and play and only takes about 15 minutes to replace.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And my wife has chimed in with a final question - where is the "silver care" module located on this model, and how can I replace it?

It's also under the top panel either in the back right or back left corner. You'd need to remove the top panel to locate it, but it's also all plug and play.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So in between your answers I have been pulling the pump out again. The hose between the tub and the pump has a thin coating of slime inside, but is generally clear. There are no debris in the pump. Could there be a buildup of slime/soap scum inside somewhere that is restricting water flow to the pump, or a partially blocked valve that controls water flow from the tub to the pump?

If there was a blockage, it would be between the tub and pump. If there was a blockage in the tub itself, then when you disconnected the hose, water inside the tub wouldn't flood out so there would be no way to ever drain the water out until you remove the blockage. I've never seen that happen, but that would be the effect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you aware of anything that can be added to the wash cycle to clean soap scum or slime from inside the tub and hoses?

There is a product called Affresh you can run through an empty cycle of the washer to clean everything out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tyler. Have a good day.

Not a problem and you do the same.