Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

tyler looking at a Ge French door freezer on bottom tomorrow

tyler looking at a Ge French door freezer on bottom tomorrow losing temperatures in fresh food and freezer sections model pfs22sisbss any idea as to what may be the evident problem with this any ideas
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Remove the back panel inside the freezer and see what the coils look like behind this panel. They should be lightly frosted from top to bottom but most likely they will be packed with frost. If they are packed with frost, you'll need to use a hair dryer and thaw all of the frost out. Then use a multimeter and test power continuity through the heater to see if it's good. If it doesn't have continuity replace the heater. If it does have continuity, replace the little white plastic bullet clipped onto the top of the silver coils which is the defrost thermistor.

Now if you remove that back panel and you see that the fan isn't running---replace the fan.

If you remove the back panel and there is no frost or just a little frost on a portion of the coils, then you have an issue with a freon leak or the compressor itself. Pull the unit forward and make sure the condenser fan motor is running. If that looks good then you'd need to likely tap into the freon system if the compressor is running and check the freon pressure to see if you have a freon leak.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

whats your opinion as to the mother board or compressor relay and capacitor ??

Capacitors never fail hardly, the compressor and mother board could fail, but the compressor wouldn't be running if either of those are the options. Also, everything would be room temperature tomorrow when you get there if one of those two things failed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am assuming the schematics wont be behind the kick plate but would you have a link to the diagnostic mode for this if it has one along with the schematic breakdown ???

Unfortunately not for GE I don't have a link to that stuff. But the tech sheet should be behind the kick panel hopefully. There is usually never a need for the diagnostics since they really do nothing other than tell you if a thermistor is open or completely shorted but nothing in between.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if it is packed with frost I also need to check the thermodisc also with the bullet sensor correct ? and if the heater , thermo disc and thermistor check ok with it still having heavy frost then I should be looking at the mother board at this point correct ??

I have never seen the thermo disc fail---ever. But you can check it if you like. On this unit that thermo disc is just a safety device that should never get used unless the freezer is about to melt down. If you really wanted to test the the thermistor sensor, look for the white plastic bullet at the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 small wires going to it.  You'd need to cut the wires going to the sensor and then put the sensor in ice water for 5 minutes.  The resistance should be right around 16.3 kΩ.  If not then the sensor would need to be replaced.  I don't advise doing this test because you must cut the wires just to test it, but if the sensor wasn't the problem then yes you'd need a new control board.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh so on this model the thermodisc isn't running the defrost cycle like other refridgerators its the thermistor. So if the thermistor and just the heater check ok with a heavy frost I should ignore the thermodisc most likely and the mother board would be the culprit at this point

Aye, that is all correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's was very helpful tyler thanks I know its late and I want to thank you for helping me out here when its so late. Get some sleep now thanks again

Not a problem and I am logging now actually as it's getting late like you said. If you need anything else just let me know.