The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

WTW4950XW machine is not spinning. I am in diag but do not

Customer Question

WTW4950XW machine is not spinning. I am in diag but do not know what the codes indicate IE flashing.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
Are you getting the error code from the status LEDs, or is this a digital display?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

on enter of diag 1 left three right 1 left all lights flash except the lid lock

Bill, just to be sure we are on the same page here please have a look at the attached page.
Thank you.
http://i39.tinypic.com/wtzpls.jpg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok seen the page may be over my head. I start with selector switch on regular. I turn knob one click left three clicks right one left. I end up on light cycle. All cycle status light are lite except the lid lock. I go one click right to casual and press start and the same is true.

Okay, Bill. May I ask where you got the instructions that you are using, please? Are they from the units tech sheet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

lets start over....model wtw4950xw2 is stuck in the drain & spin cycle.

Sorry about the confusion, Bill. Doing this over the internet can get frustrating sometimes.

Like you say lets start over.

I realise that you may have already tried this but just to be sure that all the bases are being touched please bear with me.

Please unplug the unit for a minuet and plug it back in. This is the basic reset for this unit and it has worked before.

While you do that I am going to upload the tech sheet for your unit. That way we will both be at the same starting point. The instructions may seem daunting but they really arnt once you get started.

Bill, please click here to download the tech sheet. On page 2 is the step by step instructions to place your unit into the diagnostics mode.

Once in diagnostics mpode see page 3 "fault code display mode" This will get you the correct fault codes stored in the units memory.

The one you have now (IE) is not a valid code.

Let me know what you come up with and we can go from there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards, Smitty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I unplugged I min, entered in daiig mode cycle selector switch in pointing to casual, all lights flashing, one click right , done light is lite, press start, all lights flash, one click right

rinse and done flash once

followed by sensing rinse spin done

followed by repeat of rinse done

Sorry for the wait. This is confusing to even me. Be just another minuet or two.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so I entered into automatic test mode. it stops at wash light lite and lid lock lit. you here the shifter move to agitator position sounds like attempting several times and then all stops with was light lite and lid lock on.

You have an F7-E5 error. (you add the indicated numbers to come up with the numbers after the letters That is what confused me. Sorry.)
The error code indicates a shifter fault. Give me a few more minuets and ill get you the repair needed.
Bill, on page 13 of the tech sheet are the tests needed to diagnose the shifter problem. It will require a volt ohm meter and how to use it.
Most of the time this is a bad shifter motor, but I do not recommend just replacing it and hoping that it is the right part. It may be the optical sensor or the shifter switch that has failed.
The motor is tested with an ohm meter. It should be between 2k and 3.5k ohms. Any other reading replace the motor.
If you need any help accessing the components just let me know.
Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

shifter physically moves the actuator arm moves and attempts to do so several times. I am looking at the optical sensor now. where is it located?

Give me a minuet.

Sorry, Bill. The optics are an integral p[art of the shifter mechanism. It is not available separately. To order a new shifter please copy and paste the URL below to your browsers address bar.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-actuator-w10006355-ap4514409.html

Please be aware that this may also be a control board issue. i highly recommend that you perform the tests on page 14 to confirm that it is the shifter optical sensor before you order the part.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so I see the arm physically moving and then returning to position and then move forward again and returns. You hear the clicking at the end of the movement. if you leave the unit in normal mode it periodically attempts to engage

Yes. that sounds like a bad shifter assembly.
Unfortunately once they go out there isn't any recourse other than to replace them. Especially if it is the optics.
The only way to know for sure is to perform the tests in the tech sheet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

got it.. Thanks for the help tonight. I will test as recomended

Good deal, Bill. Always best to be sure before you replace an expensive part.
Please feel free to return here and ask any followup questions. I'll be here to answer them for you.
Don't forget to rate my service before you log off.
Thank you.
Regards, Smitty
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok all test pointed to bad shifter. Pulled shifter out tested pin 5 and seven and the switch was not being actuated by the plastic arm. adjusted plastic arm spring and bingo pin 5 and 7 past continuity check when arm passes over switch. reassembled, ran auto test then calibrated tub. She is working again. great service.. Thanks for your help

Bill

Thats great, Bill!! Glad it is up and running again. Especially since you didnt need a new shifter.
Good job tweaking the spring.