Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi there, My Ge Profile Refrigerator (with bottom freezer)

Hi there, My Ge Profile Refrigerator (with bottom freezer) mod # XXXXX is not cooling properly. The coils are not frozen up. The fan is running. The freezer works pretty well but the top fridge is not very cool. The door gasket is torn somewhat but I dont think that would make the refrigerator stop cooling. Any thoughts?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you remove the back panel inside the freezer, what do the silver coils behind this panel look like? Are they packed with frost? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on the top of the coils but not on the bottom/ etc. Also, I know you say the fan is running, but is it running fast enough that you can't see the fan blades moving really? Or does it appear to be moving slow?

Actually on your unit, the evaporator coils are in the floor of the refrigerator. So you'll need to remove the floor to expose them and the fan to determine what I was asking.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I already removed the floor panel of the refrigerator. The silver coils look good and the fan runs with no ice build up.

I do not know what "looks good" means. Since you likely don't know what they should look like either how can you make this statement? Are they packed with frost? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on the top of the coils but not on the bottom? No frost at all? etc...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was a little frost on the front coil only on the top of it.

So you may want to run your refrigerator without the floor on for about 15 minutes. Those coils should get completely covered in a light coating of frost from top to bottom and front to back. If not, then you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor.

Other than that, the fan just blows air through the coils and up to the refrigerator to cool. So if the freezer seems ok but the refrigerator section is just too warm, then you'll need to order and replace the thermostat behind the knob you turn to control the temperature inside the refrigerator because it's just shutting off the refrigerator before it should. Below is a link to the thermostat you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for thermostat

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tyler, I will let it run for 15 minutes and see if the coils get all frosty. Will you be around in @ 20 minutes?

I will be logging soon as my hours are almost over for the day, but should be on for at least 15 minutes I believe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I just removed the bottom panel again and both coils have a large amount of frost on them. What does that mean?

Sounds like you have a defrost problem. You'll need to thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. Then use a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost heater and the 1" round defrost thermostat next to the coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, then it needs to be replaced or the frost build build back up and prevent air from getting to the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where is this 1" round defrost thermostat? It is weird because earlier today when I opened up the panel the coils only had a little bit of frost on top. Why would that change so quickly. The fridge hasn't been working well for a few days now. If the fan runs, why doesn't it pump cold air into the fridge?

Well there definitely isn't much air flow from the freezer to the refrigerator, but as long as you have the freezer setting not on the coldest setting SOME air will go up to the refrigerator if the fan is running. But if the coils are packed with frost, it stops air from going up. I couldn't say why the frost would form so quickly unless you've been opening the door a lot which adds a lot of moisture to the unit. But the defrost thermostat is clipped somewhere around the coils. It's the only part that's about 1" round and has 2 wires going to it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I found a 1" round black plastic button looking thing that is next to the coils and it has two wires going into it. Is this the thermostat and should I replace it? the thermostat setting dials are up at the top back insider panel of the refrigerator.

That is the defrost thermostat, yes. And yes, the temperature thermostat is located in the top of the refrigerator. If you don't have a multimeter, then yes replace the defrost thermostat I supposed. If you have a multimeter, check to see if the defrost thermostat has continuity and if not, replace it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for helping me. I hope it works. Definitely cheaper than calling out a service man. When I get the new thermostat do I need to splice wires?

You will need to splice the wires unfortunately but it's fairly straight forward, and no problem at all for helping.