SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have an Asko type DW 20.1 XL dishwasher

I have an Asko type DW 20.1 XL dishwasher. After correcting the overflow situation and drying out the pan. I have run the dishwasher successfully again. However, while watching it run with with the back kick plate off, I saw the system literally discharge a large amount of water out of a vertical pipe (.25" in diameter by 3 inches long, roughly grey color like motor) directly beneath the left most pump/motor. There was still water in the inside of the tub itself when this discharge into the lower pan eventually stopped. I assume this is obviously why my dishwasher is showing the continuous flood warning during cycles. Do you possibly know what the cure is for this and why it is happening. This pipe does not have a missing hose or disconnected hose anywhere in the dishwasher that I can see. Thanks for the speedy reply....

I can forward a picture of the discharge coming from the pipe.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 10 months ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. This pipe plugs into the inside of the door of the kickplate. It slips onto a plastic nub on that door.

Customer:

Thanks for the reply, but there isn't anywhere for it to plug into to. (on the door or otherwise.) If you give me a cell number I can send you a quick pick that I took when it was actually happening.

Customer:

It looks like it may be a purposeful overflow pipe, but the only place it can run out to is onto the catch pan.

Customer:

I can send pic to an email address as well if you prefer.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

This hose is about three inches long 1/4 in diameter and flexible correct? You could fold it like garden hose? It is comming front the pump located in the right front corner of the machine if you were facing he front?

Customer:

No, rigid pipe. When looking in from the back of the Asko (I pulled it out of the cabinet and opened up the lower rear kick plate) this motor/pump sits about two-three inches down from the base of the tub. then this rigid pipe extends about 2-3 inches....

Customer:

the main motor is in the middle, the pump I'm referring to is located towards the back right when facing the front of the dishwasher. (located left front when looking in from the rear of the dishwasher. Again, I have a photo I could send....

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I understand completely now, This is indeed an overflow pipe. how long adter you ran the machine did you see water comming from this pipe. was it filling with water at the time or spraying water?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

No need for any pictures I have these machines memorized, thanks though.

Customer:

it was running when the water was being ejected. Approximately 10 minutes into the cycle, door closed, so not sure....but sounded like possibly draining????

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Was the water coming all out of the inside of that pipe or did it look like some was comming on the outside?

Customer:

I had watched the dishwasher go through several cycles with not leaks around any other parts. (watched with flash light the whole time).

Customer:

The water was only coming out of the pipe as if a faucet was fully turned on.

Customer:

No other water was noticable from anywhere else...not that it would matter, the pan filled up in a matter of 20 seconds....

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

So this part you are looking at is both an overflow and diverter (changes water from upper to lower) I wanted to make sure the diverter aspect wasn't cracked as the water will come out arund the pipe. Sounds like that is ok. Either one of two things is wrong at this point. Either the fill volume function is bad and the unit is overfilling the tub or you are a part that goes inside the machine. We can look for that part.....

Customer:

"you are a part that goes inside the machine?" missing a part?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

yes, sorry.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

inside if you remove the lower basket and lift off the lower spray arm you should see right near the base if the spray arm a 1" almost rhombus shaped gray plastic piece that is the top of the overflow spout.

Customer:

The dishwasher ran several loads successfully after I emptied the pan Friday (the first day this happened) then it stopped again last night with a full pan.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Then your fine for that.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It would be everytime.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

How about soap, have you changed or increased at all?

Customer:

Then I noticed this full discharge when running it today again after emptying out the pan again. Is it possible the actual discharge hose if partially blocked. the dishwasher will drain after it runs a cycle, so I am not sure why the overflow pipe fully discharged

Customer:

no changes in soap, or water pressure....

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The unit has a maximum water level allowed in the machine controlled by a pressure sensor, a blocked drain wont cause an overflow.

Customer:

Sad thing is I had a local appliance repair guy out on Friday and he couldn't find anything wrong with it after draining the pan. thought the water had maybe run in from the front but checked behind the front kick plate and all insulation was dry.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If the diverter/overflow is not cracked and the units overflow stem is correct, then you must have an issue with the pressure sensor.

Customer:

Thanks for the attempt to fix, but I guess I am going to have to call yet another local guy to come out and look again.....

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Tell them to bring the pressure sensor, it is the only part left in the system that we can't eliminate with deductive reasoning.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman