Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kenmore series 80 clothes washer that will not agitate,

I have a kenmore series 80 clothes washer that will not agitate, spin or drain. We took it apart and checked to see that the motor would still turn, which it did--looked a little tight to me, but my husband said it moved "fairly easily" (not by hand, he was using a plier). Wondering if this is something we should pursue on our own to fix? Can you help?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have the full model number so that I can better assist you? The model would be located on a sticker below the lid down near the hinges and it will start with 110 . XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Also, when the washer should be agitating or spinning, do you hear the motor humming or anything at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a hum at some points. Give me a minute to get the model # XXXXX

ok thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK so if you hear the motor humming and the motor shaft does turn manually, you know it's getting power. The downside is that you either have a bad motor or you have a bad start capacitor. Now if you take your washer apart and follow the red wire from the motor, it will go to a motor capacitor that looks like the part in the link below.

CLICK HERE for motor capacitor

Now you need a fairly nice multimeter to be able to read micro ferads, but you need to unplug the capacitor and test between the 2 terminals on the capacitor and you should have about 350 µF. If not, then you need to replace the capacitor, otherwise you need to replace the motor. Below is a video that shows you how to take the outer shell of the washer off so you can perform these tasks. Other than that, make sure the red sire is securely connected to the motor and capacitor as well as the timer in the control panel.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!