Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

I am looking for the best reliable, well organized counter-depth

I am looking for the best reliable, well organized counter-depth (20-24 cu. ft) 3 or 4 french door refrigerator. I have researched sooo much. I plan to visit Sears, Best Buy and HHGregg to get a first-hand view, but I need to know which one will last. Presently, I had a GE Profile side-by-side (not cabinet-depth) that is freezing most of the food on both sides. The temperatures fluctuate (freezer -4 to 4 while the refrigerator 24 degrees to 38). I have had repair problems with this product often during its short life. I called Sears/GE for a repair estimate, but cancelled sine I do not want to put a lot money into something that will last a short time.

Please advise.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

The problem is the damper assembly in the fridge section needs to be replaced. The part# XXXXX XXXXX cost $128. The is the "T-shirt" looking thing at the top of the fridge section. Remove light cover, remove screws holding assembly to roof. Next pop the air tower loose from the rear wall and move side to side to remove lower screws of the air damper assembly. Pull assembly out, the disconnect low voltage wire harness, then install new damper assembly. The problem is that the damper door breaks, and will not close. This allows air to flow from freezer to fridge causing this to freeze. This is a normal issue. The new damper assembly is built better not to fail. If this information as assisted you, please give me a great rating. If not, please respond back for more information....Thank you