Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag glass top (CERAN) four burner electric cook-top

I have a Maytag glass top (CERAN) four burner electric cook-top (not as part of a range). It is probably 7-10 years old, but it is hard to say for sure because it came with the house which we purchased 5 years ago. While using one of the burners to heat a pot of water, i heard a loud 'pop' noise coming from the stove area. However, I couldn't see anything wrong, so I kept on with the mean preparations. During cleanup, I discovered that the glass top had developed a large crack in the area I was using it. The burner still works, but I don't intend on using the burner in question until this problem is fixed. The crack is serious enough that you can easily feel the sharp edges where the glass is indented somewhat.
My questions are: 1.) Can the "glass" be replaced without replacing the entire drop in cook-top? 2.) If so, what sort of price should I expect for the replacement glass since I would want to do the work myself? 3.) Is this a worthwhile repair to make or would it be best just to replace the entire unit?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

1. So yes, the glass can be replaced without the entire cooktop, but you would need the model number located on a sticker below the cooktop on the bottom of the unit to look up the proper part.

2. The price of the glass top varies wildly depending on the exact model number, but usually $200-300 is a common range for the price of the glass top.

3. The unit will look brand new when you replace the glass top since the entire unit is just a glass top, so if you have no intentions of updating your kitchen any time soon and like a glass top cooktop, it would likely be best to repair the cooktop and just replace the glass top as opposed to getting a new unit.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.