Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my GE Profile refrig freezer will not allow me to reset the

my GE Profile refrig freezer will not allow me to reset the temerature and neither is holding an adequate temp. The earliest a repair person can get here is tomorrow. is there anything I can do to "reset" the system and get the freezer and refrig to cool again?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you explain a bit more clearly as to what you mean by not being able to "reset the temperature"? What temperature does your refrigerator and freezer say it is? And what happens when you try to change the temperature exactly? Do the buttons respond at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the freezer is about 37 and the refrig is 46. when i push the button at the top to reset the temp for the freezer to zero, it shows zero for a few seconds, then goes back to 37.
Same with the refrig. the buttons allow me to set the temps to an appropriate level and that level shows, but then quickly reverts back to what I believe is the actual temp in the units.

The buttons respond, but they do NOT result resetting the temp.

OK so it sounds like you ARE resetting the temperature, but after you set the temperature it reverts back to the "actual" temperature so you can see the progress as it try to get down from 37 degrees to 0 degrees.

So that being said, it sounds like the unit is just not cooling properly. If you look at the lower back panel inside the freezer, do you have any frost build up on the back panel? And do you hear a fan running inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not cooling properly. there does not appear to be a frost build up but the freezer temp was high enough that it might have melted. also, i plugged it back in after a 20 minute period and I do not hear a motor running.

OK so you don't hear any fan or motors or anything running right now? It's all 100% silent? Can you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel? Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing is running. dead silence

OK so unfortunately the unit is either in defrost mode or your control board is bad. if the unit is in defrost, it will exit in the next hour or less. If it doesn't exit, then your control board on the back of your refrigerator behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel is just faulty and the unit will not work until this part is replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How will I know if the unit was in defrost? I already unplugged it for about 20 minutes hoping that would reset it. If in defrost, which seems doubtful, will every thing kick back in?

Yes, you would need to leave everything plugged in an running for at least 1 hour and it will kick back in to cooling mode on it's own. If it doesn't then you know your control board is bad.