Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

refridge not cooling

refridge not cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I just had a few questions so that I can help narrow down the problem. First, is either the refrigerator or freezer section cooling at all currently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

freezer is cooling but the fridge in not.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. If you open the freezer drawer, do you see frost on the back wall of the freezer? Also, do you hear a fan running inside the freezer? If the fan is running inside the freezer, it will be SIGNIFICANTLY louder when the drawer is opened as opposed to the freezer drawer being closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it is running and there is a light frost on the back wall.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So that frost is going to be your problem. There is a whole lot more frost behind that back panel and it prevents the air from circulating up to the refrigerator from the freezer so it stops the refrigerator from cooling. Unfortunately everything will need to be removed out of the freezer and the back panel removed inside the freezer. There is a defrost heater that runs below the frost and a small 1" round device with 2 wires clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If you have a multimeter, disconnect these parts and test for continuity through them. if either part does not have continuity, it needs to be replaced because it's stopping the unit from defrosting automatically. In the mean time, use a hair dryer to thaw all the frost out and the unit will work for a week or two until you can get the part.

Now if you don't have a multimeter to test the continuity of the parts, just order and replace the 1" round device which is your defrost thermostat since this is the part that fails most commonly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok the icemaker is not working either is this related or a different problem all together?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That would be related. The icemaker can not make ice if the temperature in the icemaker cavity gets above 10ºF. So once you get the temperatures working properly again, the icemaker should start to make ice once again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

perfect thank you have a great day !

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all and I wish you only the best!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.