Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a refrigerator, model jcd2289atb. It stopped working.

I have a refrigerator, model jcd2289atb. It stopped working. It has power but there is no cold air on the freezer side or fridge side. I cleaned off the coils and plugged it back it. It still wasn't cooling. Then I noticed a switching sound coming from the compressor. It would happen every 2 to 5 mins. I think that it is a bad started relay switch. I would like to start by trying to replace that. 1. How do I take out the old switch? And where can I buy a new switch To replace it with? Should I even attempt this?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you have actually tracked down the problem correctly. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. With the refrigerator unplugged, you can slide a flat head screwdriver behind the overload and relay and pry on it to pop this overload relay off the compressor. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

As for where you can buy a new switch, below is a link to where you can purchase a new switch.

CLICK HERE for overload part
CLICK HERE for relay part

Replace both parts together.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it is definitely rattling. So order a new start relay switch?

Aye, you'll want to order the overload and relay and then just replace them and you should be good to go again.