Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE® 3.6 DOE cu. ft. stainless steel capacity washer.... the

GE® 3.6 DOE cu. ft. stainless steel capacity washer....
the fabric softener cup, located on top of the agitator was pushed down too far and now it wont come back up.
How can I repair this?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can possibly better assist you? It should be located on a sticker on the back of the control panel or below the lid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GE® 3.6 DOE cu. ft. stainless steel capacity washer

GTWN4250MWS

Perfect, thank you. So I'm a bit confused because the softner compartment is only 1 part on this washer and it can't be pushed down to far. If you look at the diagram in the link below, the softner compartment is part 298. Are you saying that this broke into pieces? Because you said you have this part removed no?

CLICK HERE for diagram

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, inside of the cover ( part # XXXXX) there is a cup, kid of an hourglass shape, that is filled with fabric softener, and during the rinse/spin cycle the softener comes out of the cup and into the wash load. it used to spring up and down. now it is about an inch lower than it used to be. I took off the cover (part #298) and the cup was just sitting on a thick piece of plastic about 6 inches down inside the agitator tube. I believe that there is some type of spring under this plastic piece that moves during the spin/rinse cycle, lowering the cup and releasing the contents.... not sure about this .... just guessing. but now there is no move movement... the cup doesn't spring up and down like it used to do. any ideas?

So I think that is your confusion. You are looking just inside the softner cup. There are actually no moving parts on this cup. It does not spring up and down and it's completely rigid. What happens is that the softner sits inside this cup and when it goes into the spin cycle the softner starts to push over top of the cup and sprays out the holes inside the agitator. The cup does not move up and down. That plastic piece that sits 6 inches down inside the agitator is just a cap that prevents the softener from going down any further and getting on the transmission shaft. That cap stops water and softner from getting into the mechanical parts. It sounds like it may have not been pushed down all the way before, but it's installed properly now.