Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

i have a duet dryer and when we start the cycle it stays on

i have a duet dryer and when we start the cycle it stays on sensing and will not dryer the cloths. i pushed the more dry less dry more dry until i got the 88 message. i then opened the dryer door and it says E6. What do i do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

What is the model number of the dryer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

GEW9250PW1

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
The door opening under the diagnostic the E6 is normal. Have you check to make sure that you 240 volts at the back of the dryer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

not today

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
First we need to know if we have that, then we can and go and check fuses and heating elements..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i have changed the thermal fuse and the thermistor

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Have you checked the heating element to see if it was good?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i check it and it was good but for some reason it will work for a day and then stop heating again

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
There can be a bad broken wire in the heater itself, sometimes making contact and sometimes it is not... you need to see if you have 240 volts at the heater terminals when it is not heating for you...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

is this the wires on the front of the heating element

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

should i unplug the dyer

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
how do plan to see if there is power then? Power has to be on and the dryer running to see if you 240 volts there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

ok thats why your the expert

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

there are 3 sets of wires going in to the side of the heating element.do i check across the first set?

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
on the heating element you should only have 2 wires, one red and one red/white wire.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

the front plugin has a red and red and white the there are 2 more terminals behhind it on the side of the heating element housing. so i checked the front one and i am not getting anything

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
the 2 all the way at the front.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i checked across the 2 front wires and i am not getting anything

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
and you have the dryer on heat and running?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes i turned on a cycle and i am not getting anything across the red to red and white wires and the element is not coming on

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
Okay, we need to test the thermal cut out, you need to unplug the unit and remove the red and black wires from it and with the ohm meter see if it is open..

graphic

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i am not getting a reading

Expert:  Chas replied 6 months ago.
You need to replace it, you can order the correct part by clicking on the blue link below..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech