Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Whirlpool direct drive washer - start wash cycle and no water

Whirlpool direct drive washer - start wash cycle and no water fills in. Starts agitating with no water. This is intermittent over last week where sometimes it will fill and wash and other times doesn't.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Since you made sure that the hose had no clog in it, then you have a bad pressure switch, very easy to replace, Whirlpool even updated the new one to help this from happening again, You can click on the blue link below to order it for your washer.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Chas. You don't think the temperature switch could be the culprit?

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Will it fill on cold wash or do you have to fill it on warm or hot to fill for wash?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It will fill during wash on H, W or Cold.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
But you say that it is agitating without water being in it, correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Correct. It was agitating without water in it so I replaced the inlet valve since it tested bad. Thought issue was fixed but now wont fill during rinse. I can get H,W and C during wash cycle.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Inlet valve would not cause this, as it is a valve only, the pressure switch tells the unit to agitate so it has to be the culprit, there is nothing else, this is a very simple machine compared to what is made now. Not saying you did not have a bad water valve, but for it to agitate with no water the pressure switch has got to be sticking in the full position sometimes...
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chas- I installed new inlet valve and pressure hose/switch. No cold water. Checked hose runs fine
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
You said you had cold water?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just tried it again. Will fill with cold water for wash but won't fill after it drains wash water. It starts agitating at rinse with no water. I then moved the load size from med to large and it started filling with cold water. Never have come across this
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
This is weird, on large load does it fill to proper fill?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yup. I'm testing it on a different wash cycle they normally don't use to see if it will fill for rinse.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chas- no cold fill at rinse regardless of cycle chosen. Goes into agitation.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
It cannot do that unless the pressure switch sends the signal to close the motor switch, Let me see if I have the wiring diagram for this model..

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
There are how many wires and colors on the pressure switch?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
3-brown, pink n purple. Now when I start a cycle it doesn't fill period, just starts agitating
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Pink to neutral during the fill cycle should show 120 on your meter? does it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cut about 10" inches off of new pressure hose. Now it filled for wash with whatever I selected-hot warm and cold. Going thru cycle now waiting for rinse. I can't measure pink and neutral, don't have my smaller pins with me to get into connector.
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
okay let's see what happens
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Chas, Well the washer went thru one cycle where the rinse water did fill and completed the cycle. The other times it will stop at rinse and start agitating without water UNLESS we change the load size from med to large or large to super when it gets to rinse and starts agitating. It then will fill with cold water and complete the cycle. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad pressure switch although its a genuine WP product. What's your thoughts?

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
I think also it is a bad pressure switch, no other reason, where you able to check the voltages on the pink wire?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. I misplaced my smaller probes and the ones on my volt meter are too big. I ordered a new pressure switch so I'll let you know the outcome once its installed. Appreciate all your help!

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
sounds good......
Chas, Home Appliance Technician