Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My calypso washer is 9 years old. Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN It

My calypso washer is 9 years old. Model #(NNN) NNN-NNNN It has a musty odor, and when we run the "ultra handwash" cycle it leaves a bunch of bits of gunk. appears to be lint infused with soap scum. I am about to take off the pump and clean it out as best I can. any other odeas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you do NOT want to run the unit with degreaser. There is a product called Affresh that Whirlpool makes and is sold at more hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.. as well as many grocery stores. You need to run a few cycles with this product and it will break all the build up down including any mold and mildew you have building up in the washer along with the detergent and hard water build up. Then it will flush it out your drain. This is a product that should be used about once every few months, but if you've let it go 9 years without using this product, it's definitely time to use this product a few times and clean out what you can.

The other option is to take the entire washer apart and remove the inner stainless steel basket which is really difficult to do on this particular model because the tub seizes to the shaft and is really hard to break it free. With the basket out you can manually scrub everything clean and that works even better, but is infinitely harder to do this task.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So, how abut taking out the pump and cleaning it. The stuff is accumulating somewhere. Where do you think ist is accumulating?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
The lint accumulates on the back of the stainless steel drum holes. These holes are very sharp on the opposite side of the tub and it's a fairly well known problem with these Calypsos, but removing the drain pump really wouldn't result in solving the problem. You would need to do one of the two options I suggested before to get the build up broken down and flushed out.