Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

My washer started making a loud grinding sound on the wash

My washer started making a loud grinding sound on the wash cycle and the clothes seem to get wrapped around the agitator very tightly

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Can I get the complete model number of the washing machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the model number located?
Find Your Washing Machine Model Number
Find Your Washing Machine Model Number
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you spin the agitator easily on the unit by hand?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can turn it to the right but not really the left
Are the clothes wrapped tightly right after the first wash before it goes into spin? ALso have you tried running it with nothing in it and hear if it still grinds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are wrapped tightly just a couple minutes after the cycle starts , I'll empty the washer and check if the noise is still there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it still makes the noise with only water in it, and it only turns to the right, isn't it supposed to agitate right then left?
The out tub is also turning during agitation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By out tub you mean the main clothes holding basket? No it isn't turning.
IF the agitator is turning only one way, then you have a bad gearcase, you can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your washing machine.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

Here is also a video on how to replace it on your machine..

Click here

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was thinking it was the gearbox with all that noise, thanks for your help
You are welcome, have a nice day and a better weekend...