Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Drum wont turn. Motor hums. Can turn drum by hand.

Drum won't turn. Motor hums. Can turn drum by hand.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you let the motor hum, will it continue humming for longer than a minute or two? Or does it shut off? I'm just trying to determine if the motor itself is running or if it's stuck/jammed in which case it will hum for maybe 30 seconds and shut off and try again after a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Motor shuts off after 10-20 sec.
The problem occurred when my wife left the lint filter out. It dried the clothes, but she believes she's missing two socks. There was a very loud rumble, machine vibrated and she hit the stop button.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, so it sounds like your blower wheel is now jammed up and you'll need to take your vent apart in order to remove the socks jamming up the blower wheel which in turn jams up the motor.

This is really not an easy to get inside the dryer unfortunately.  To gain access, you need to pull the dryer forward and unplug it.  Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel.  The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off.  Remove the screws coming in from the inside of the dryer going into the control panel.  The control panel will then pull up and out of the way.  At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove.  Open the door and you need to remove the 2 screws below the door way.  Now you can remove the front panel to access the inside of the dryer and vent assembly.

So at this point which the frost panel off, you can pull the lint filter out and remove the screws going into the lint filter housing. Pull the lint filter housing off and you'll see the blower wheel in the lower left front corner. Just remove the socks jamming the blower wheel and you should be good to go again.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like I can do this. How can I contact you after I try this in case I should have a problem?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is an Email sent to you with a link to come back if you have follow up questions after you rate me in case you need further help. I also want to link to you a video that shows you how to change the belt on this dryer. Changing the belt is not what you need to do obviously, but it helps on the process of getting into the dryer.

CLICK HERE for video

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.