Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

(Appliance Doc Only) My major question is what are the symptoms

(Appliance Doc Only) My major question is what are the symptoms and sounds of a bad drive block?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

A bad drive block would make a clucking sound as the inner basket slips over top of the block, definitely not a grinding noise. It will usually cluck a lot more when the tub first starts to spin and then when the spin cycle finishes and it begins to slow down.

Is the grinding noise only during the agitation cycle or does it happen during spin only or???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's only during the spin cycle. I tested the agitator at both medium and full load water levels and it was fine. Lady also said she did a load yesterday and it washed fine. It's just the spin cycle. I heard a bad spin tube one time that only did it at the end of a spin cycle. It sounds closer to that, but it does it for the whole spin and gets louder as it picks up speed.

So to be honest, this sounds like a bad main tub bearing which is actually part of the spin tube (also known as the basket drive). If the noise gets louder as it spins faster, the basket drive is the part I'd replace.