Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I need step by step instructions on how to replace the temperature

I need step by step instructions on how to replace the temperature control on a XXXXXXXXXXX refrig.

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

Your model number didn't come through unfortunately. Can you re-send the model with a space between each number so that I can see it? The website is blocking the model because it looks too much like a phone number so all I can see is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Customer:

5 9 6 6 9 8 7 4 0 0 0

Tyler Z. :

OK perfect, and what part number are you trying to replace?

Customer:

The temperature control

Customer:

part number 46596c89467031

Tyler Z. :

The one inside the refrigerator or freezer?

Customer:

It is at the top of the freezer but controls both.

Tyler Z. :

So it actually does control both you are correct, but there is a separate control for the refrigerator that regulates the refrigerator temperature and it's located behind the vent in the back of the refrigerator.

Tyler Z. :

Anyways, onto replacing the freezer cold control

Tyler Z. :

Turn freezer section control wheel off, unplug unit. Then remove all items/baskets from freezer to allow access. Use nut driver to unscrew 3 screws on control plastic housing. Drop down housing from top and unplug wires (note correct locations) from control wheel switch. Remove screws and ground wire from metal backing plate to plastic housing. Push or pry the 2 metal hold tabs down carefully to allow the 2 plastic housing tab fingers to be pushed inwards to separate metal plate from housing. Pry control wheel off from switch arm with screwdriver. Remove switch and replace with new one.
Use the reverse order of removal above to replace into freezer but use caution when replacing wheel onto switch arm and plugging in wires. Remember to carefully pry the 2 metal tabs back up to secure the plastic finger tabs in place.

Customer:

Okay, I'm gonna give this a try as soon as the part comes in. Thanks for your help.

Tyler Z. :

Not a problem at all

Tyler Z. :

You have a great rest of the day

Customer:

You also, thanks.