Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hello - I have had my samsung RB1855sw for over 6 years and

Hello - I have had my samsung
RB1855sw for over 6 years and really like it. However it is beeping and will not stop. The refrigerator and freezer are at the correct temps and the only thing is the light is out in the refrigerator. Would a burnt out light bulb cause the alarm to beep? How do I disarm it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Samsung service tech and I can help you today.

Customer:

Hi Jon

Jon :

Is it the door or temp alarm that is beeping? you should be able to tell by looking at the front control board.

Customer:

I do not see anything other than the temps for the freezer and refrigerator. This unit has an electronic panel on the front ot the bottom of the refrigerator door.

Jon :

yes. does it show any lights flashing with the beeping sound?

Jon :

usually if the door alarm is going off, the control will show a door light.

Customer:

This is a unit that has the freezer on the bottom and a door that opens to the right for the refrigerator

Customer:

I unplugged it about 20 minutes ago can I go and plug it in and see

Customer:

This is an older unit it appears to only display temps I will plug it in now

Jon :

yes. I know. and there should be a control board on your machine. That is where you would set the temps. Is there any lights flashing there with the beeping?

Jon :

yes, plug it in now and give it a few hours to get down to the correct temps.

Customer:

I just plugged it back in and it is beeping again. It is showing 9 and 49 refrigerator and freezer tems respectively.

Jon :

after plugging it in make sure the doors are properly and fully closing. there are door switches that the doors will come in contact with. Make sure the doors are hitting those switches. Because of they are not, the alarm will go off.

Jon :

ok. give it some time. did it start beeping right away though? or did the beeping start after like five minutes?

Jon :

please remember to make sure the doors are fully closing.

Customer:

These numbers are not blinking.and the door is closed

Jon :

both doors?

Jon :

freezer and ref doors?/

Customer:

it was about 2 minutes before it started beeping

Jon :

ok. it is a door switch. and door alarm that is ringing and beeping then for sure.

Jon :

please check to make sure the door is fully hitting the switch.

Customer:

the doors are fully closed and i do not feel any cool air escaping from the gasket on both doors.

Jon :

are you sure they are fully closing? are lookign all the way around each door?

Customer:

I opened the door and held the switch and it started to beep

Jon :

if they are fully closing then you need to replace the door switches.

Jon :

ok how about the freezer door? try holding that door switch in as well and see if the alarm stops?

Customer:

k give me a sec - thanks - ur awesome

Jon :

are you still there? did you check the freezer door switch

Jon :

you got it. that is what I am here for.

Jon :

and you are doing great as well. bare with me as we diagnose the machine.

Jon :

we will know exactly what is wrong with it in one minute

Customer:

The alarm is not continuous it goes on about to the count of 45.

Jon :

ok. but does it go off when you push int he door switch and hold it down for about 10 seconds?

Customer:

The freezer door and the refrigerator door switches were held one at a time and held with the door open until the beeping started which it did for both doors. Again I checked both doors all around and I do not feel any cool air escaping

Jon :

ok. thank you. what are the temps now in the ref and freezer?

Customer:

No it does not keep the beeping from starting - I held the button and the b eeping started while I was holding the button down for both the r and f

Jon :

ok. what are the temps?

Customer:

Hold on I will get the temps

Jon :

ok.

Customer:

3 and 49

Jon :

ok. too high in the ref cabinet.

Jon :

open the ref door and hold in the ref door switch for at least 20 seconds and tell me if you hear the ref fan blosing?

Jon :

blowing?

Customer:

k hold on

Jon :

ok.

Customer:

Well No fan and no light - do refrigerators has fuzes?

Customer:

Just kidding

Customer:

The beeping is making me ditzy!

Jon :

only on the main board. which is what i think is failing here now. if there is no lights and no fans running even when the switch is pushed in, then you need to replace the main control board.

Jon :

it happens often.

Jon :

no fuses that you can replace. the fuse is in the main board. and the relay for the fan and lights are shorting out.

Customer:

OK so I see there are 2 or 3 different kinds of boards can you tell me which one I need and can I switch it once I order it?

Customer:

AN D how do I STOP the beeping

Jon :

sorry. I know the beeping can get quite annoying. You should be able to silence the beeping. There should be an alarm button on the control board. And if that button is pushed it should make the beeping stop.

Jon :

Let me pull up the part info for you now on the main board. It is usually the bigger board in the back of the ref.

Customer:

Also a side note this unit has popped and crackled since we have had it - the salesperson said this is usual and it would eventually stop but it never has Will this cause the new control board to go out Should I consider the root cause of the panel going out or does it not have anything to do with it and not to worry

Jon :

what do you mean it has popped and cracked? do you here electrical noises from the machine often?

Customer:

This is an older model and there is no alarm button it only displays temp of refrigerator and freezer on a display that is 2 inches wide by 4 inches long on the bottom of the refrigerator door with 4 buttons - freezer temp freezer power freeze refrigerator temp and refrigerator power cool

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

for over 5 years

Jon :

ok. then yes, they could be related. but if the control board functions as usuall then the main issue is the main board.

Customer:

the salesperson said it had to do with the water flow

Customer:

k lets go with the control board

Customer:

Is there any way for the beeper to be stopped since this is an older model

Jon :

no. I am sorry. if there is no alarm button then on your model you cant silence. You just have to get the temp down to acceptable level to get the beeping to stop.

Customer:

What is an acceptable temp

Jon :

0 for freezer and 37 for the ref.

Jon :

your ref temp is too high at 49

Jon :

freezer is ok, just slightly higher then it should be.

Customer:

That makes sense because the beeping stops at night and starts in the morning at breakfast when we are going in and out of the fridge

Jon :

the main control board for your model is in the back near the compressor on bottom. In side a plastic cover.

Jon :

it is part number DA41-00128D should cost about $70

Customer:

I did have the unit unplugged for a while Ill monitor it and see if it rises right now it is at

Customer:

Nope it is now 50

Jon :

yes. the more you are in it the more warm air gets into the ref making the temps warmer. I would change the main board.

Customer:

Can you send me instructions on how to install

Customer:

Can I give you the serial number to be sure the control board is correct for the unit I have

Jon :

the control is correct. it is the right one for your model.

Customer:

k good deal Ill order it tonight

Customer:

What website do I order it from

Jon :

all you have to do is remove the ref from the wall to get to the back of the ref. then remove the screws around the lowest cover to the back of the ref. there should be about 8 screws or so. then remove the cover.On the back right side of the ref, on bottom you will see the squarish cover. then just remove the plastic cover and you will see the board. then just unplug the machine and remove the old board and swap with the new one. Then just go wire for wire removing the plugs from other board to the new one.

Jon :

it is just that easy.

Jon :

you can order the board directly through the link below. just click on the image below to see and order the part. They will ship it out to you.

Customer:

That works - thanks for being so thorough your help is very much appreciated

Jon :

If you need anything else please get back to me here and i will help you more.

Customer:

Thank you Jon.

Customer:

How do I get back to you

Jon :

And please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions at another time, just come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thank you.

Jon :

You can bookmark this page to your favorites and come back here at anytime. Just remember your login info when you came to the site. then just log in and I will be here to help you if you need it.

Customer:

k Thanks You will hear from me appreciate you Good Night!

Jon :

or if you want, you can come to this link below. This is my profile page to the company website. here you can come back directly to me. And not wait at all for any expert to respond.

Jon :

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/

Customer:

Just what I needed. TY

Jon :

You are very welcome. that is what I am here for. And you did great as well. thank you.

Jon :

have a good night.

Jon :

Just remember to rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit from the website for helping you. and again, if you have more questions on this machine after accepting my answer, please come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks again.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Anna,

Thank you very much again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a good night.