Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Kenmore Elite Dishwasher will not turn on. Tried to start

My Kenmore Elite Dishwasher will not turn on. Tried to start it. Pressed normal wash first light flashed, pressed start, now nothing. Have checked breaker, etc. My model # XXXXX XXXXX It is not but between 1 - 2 years old
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're certain that there is power getting to the dishwasher, remove the kick panel below the dishwasher and look for the 3" x 3" sheet metal box with the wire connections in it. Turn the circuit breaker off to the dishwasher or unplug the dishwasher before servicing. Remove the cover plate and look at the wire connections to see if any of the wires in the junctions box have shorted out. If they have been shorted or melted, you'll need to cut them back and re-wire them. If you find nothing at all wrong with the connections, then your fuse or control board is just shorted for one reason or another and the fuse or control board inside the door will need to be ordered and replaced. You can't test the control board but you can test the fuse. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to take the door apart to test the fuse and replace whatever part is faulty. Once the fuse is removed, just check continuity if you have a multimeter to determine if the fuse is bad or not. If the fuse doesn't have continuity then replace it. If you don't have a multimeter, then just order and replace the fuse as it will be cheaper than buying a multimeter and it will give you the same answer.

CLICK HERE for video

Now since the fuse looks different than the one in the video above, below is a link to the fuse on your dishwasher so you can see what it looks like as well as order it if needed.

CLICK HERE for fuse

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there not any reset combination you can press on the control panel to maybe reset it? Everything has been working fine until this happened?

You can not reset this issue if there are no lights coming on on the control panel. You can try to unplug the dishwasher for 60 seconds or turn the circuit breaker off to see if the electronics will reset---but that's the only chance it might reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whoo Pee!!! I turned off the breaker and left it off a while, turned it back on. All lights flashed on the control panel. Turned on the start button, dishes are washing!!!

Awesome, I'm glad it was able to reset. That being said, if the issue continues to come back you know the issue isn't the junction box or the fuse---the control board itself would need to be replaced because that's the only part that would respond in this manner.