Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi, I have GE DSS25kg the freezer always defrost mode for long

Hi, I have GE DSS25kg the freezer always defrost mode for long time then after several hours the compressor start. Can you tell me if I had a bad defrost timer if that the case, where is locate?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So lets start from the beginning---why do you think the unit is stuck in defrost? Is the food warming up? Do you hear anything running like motors or fans when it's warming up or is it 100% dead silent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i open the freezer side i saw moisture and the temp change from 0 degree to 12 degree.

OK perfect. Did you hear anything running or is it 100% silent? This is very important to know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, after couple hours later

Umm, that's not what I meant. Did you hear anything running while the freezer and refrigerator were warming up? Or better question would be did the refrigerator section warm up at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, the fan running

OK so then the unit is not going into defrost. If the unit goes into defrost mode, all fans and motors shut off and both the refrigerator and freezer would warm up equally.

If the fan is running, then the unit knows it needs to cool, but for some reason the compressor isn't running. That means you could have a bad compressor, bad control board or a bad overload relay. You'll need to pull the refrigerator out the next time it warms up and remove the lower back panel to touch the compressor and see if it's room temperature, warm, or blazing hot. If it's blazing hot, then either your overload relay or your compressor is failing. You really can't test which one so you'd want to replace the overload relay since it's so much cheaper than a compressor. If the compressor is NOT blazing hot, then your control board relay is failing. This is the most likely case. The control board is located behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel and the control board would need to be replaced to fix this issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!