Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Kenmore electric free standing range, model # XXXXX

I have a Kenmore electric free standing range, model # XXXXX I ran the self clean function and when it was finished I got FI on display panel and the fan was running. It never ended anded and I can't clear it or use oven.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Do you still need help with this problem?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Marilyn can you give me a minute to look up the model number please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

model # XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Marilyn.

The meaning of the error code and the corrective actions are listed below.

F1 Defective touch pad or membrane To determine which component is at fault, disconnect ribbon strip. If NO fault code, replace membrane, otherwise replace ERC
F1 Faulty ERC

F1 touch pad / ERC test

This simple test will help determine whether the ERC (Electronic Range Control or Clock) or the touch pad is defective when F1 error code is present.

Note: Some models incorporate the touch pad in to the ERC as a single assembly, in which case this test is not necessary. Simply replace the ERC (Clock).

Warning: If you feel in any way uncomfortable performing this test or making this repair, please contact a qualified appliance repair technician.

1. Disconnect power to the range (unplug the range power cord or turn the power off to the range at the circuit breaker). It is very important that the power to the range has been disconnected, so please double check before continuing.
  2. Gain access inside the control panel.
  3. Disconnect the touch pad (also called keypad or membrane switch) ribbon from the ERC.
  4. Make sure there are no lose wires, or anything else that may cause a short when power is turned back on. Assemble the control panel back the way it was.
  5. Turn the power back on.
  6. Wait for at least one hour to see if the F1 code comes back (usually accompanied by a beeping sound).
  7. If F1 comes back, replace the ERC. If it does not, replace the touch pad.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please reply with any further questions you may have.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry don't understand what you mean by membrane or how to gain access inside control panel

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The control panel is where the clock is, pull it out from the wall and take the panel out in the rear of the control panel. This will give you access to the control board. The membrane is the touch pad (buttons) There is a ribbon wire that runs from the touch pad to the control board (clock) this is what will need to be disconnected in order to determine if the touch pad is bad or the control board is bad.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the clock is part of the digital panel between the the stove top knobs just above the oven door, this is a smooth top range.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok that makes it more difficult, you would need to open the door and remove the screws under the lip of the control, then lift the control panel up to access the control, in some models you also have to lift the cook top by removing the screws along the side of the unit.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

that is going to require quite a bit of time i will get back when i am able to get this done.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks Marilyn

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, the panel is open, now do i disconnect the ribbon and then replace the panel and then restore power? (with the ribbon disconnected?)

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Yes disconnect the ribbon the restore the power, if the code comes back your control is bad, if the error code does not return then the touch pad is bad.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your assistance. The code returned. Do you have any idea how expensive a new control is? Is it an item that i can replace myself?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Let me look that up, will post back shortly
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The control would normally be around $200 depending on where you get it, It's fairly easy to replace, a few screws and swapping wires from old to new control board.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for all your help. Not having a manual and not being able to find a copy on line was frustrating. It was worth the service charge to be able to determine if there was a real problem and if it would be worthwhile to spend the money to have the problem repaired.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Your very welcome, if you have any more questions please don't hesitate :)