Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My KitchenAid KSSC42FKS01 is heating up. How to cool it

Customer Question

My KitchenAid KSSC42FKS01
is heating up. How to cool it off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you pull up my model?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did. can you open the freezer door and look at the back wall and tell me if theres any frost on it ? is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No frost. Fan doesn't seem to be running.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, what you need to do is pull the refrigerator away from the wall and take the cover over the compressor off, feel the compressor, is it warm ,hot, or cold ? is it vibrating ? (running) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Built-in frig. can't pull from wall. Compressor on top under metal cover.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh sorry I didn't get the diagrams up yet. can you remove the grill and feel the compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't get to compressor. Fan is blowing over coils. Buzzing sound in compartment left of coils.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible the frig is in defrost mode? If so, how can I change it back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today. It looks like Bryan has opted out of helping you. Which can happen from time to time and just means that they feel that there is another expert here that can help you better.

Let me look up your model so I can help you better. I would like to see if there is an inverter for your compressor and or defrost control next to the compressor on your model.

Because the likely problem here, especially if the fan in the freezer is not running and compressor is not running, is the ref is stuck in a defrost like you asked earlier.

Be right back.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Take a look at this diagram below. It is the diagram of the compressor and unit parts in your machine. Where is the buzzing sound coming from?

The smaller box right next to the compressor? Or from the main control area?

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W0207051-00011.png

Just copy and paste the link address above to your browser to open and view the diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That diagram doesn't help. When looking above frig, the coils are to the right. There is a grate covering the compressor(?) on the left. That is where the buzzing is coming from. I do feel air blowing over the compressor and out through the grate.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
In my experience with working on these machines, I have over 13 years working on and fixing these machines, it is usually the inverter board or main control board that fails to start the compressor.

And if you are hearing a buzzing sound then that would be the relay on either the inverter board or the relay on the main board that controls and starts the compressor failing and sticking. Which would again cause the compressor not to run and would cause the ref to warm up.

So please tell me if this buzzing sound is coming from the smaller inverter board that is right next to the compressor or if it is the board in front?

Ok just got your response. If the buzzing is coming from the left where the compressor is then that is most definitely coming from the inverter board. And it will need to be replaced. Very very common on this model.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I remove the grate on the left and feel the temperature on the compressor? Is the inverter board a circuit board? I've heard the the main control board is unavailable and customers need to send their broken board in to get repaired and then reinstall it.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
The inverter is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN And can be ordered from either www.repairclinic.com or www.searspartsdirect.com.

I would suggest removing the cover to the compressor and feeling the compressor. If it is cold then the inverter is the issue. If it is warm or hot then the main board is the issue.

The inverter board is what directly controls power to the compressor. It is again, what jump starts the compressor to come on and run. So if you dont hear the normally humming and vibrating sound of the compressor then it is most likely not running. especially if the machine is warming up.

Replace the inverter and that will fix the issue with your machine. Now I would also like to mention that it is recommended that you replace both the inverter and main control boards together. Since the main control board send power to the inverter board, it is usually a common occurrence that when the inverter board fails electrically, the main board is usually affected as well. The main control board is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN. Now if the main board is not available there is a company called Core Centrics which will repair the old one in your machine. You would have to remove the old board and send it out to them. They then repair it and send it back to you. But if this is the case, please try the inverter first. That may fix your problem.

Please get back to me here if you have more questions and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will remove the grate and feel the compressor. Give me a few minutes.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You got it. I will be here for you just let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Grate is off. Is compressor black-domed unit? If so, it is hot to the touch. Where does inverter board go? There is a plastic box in front of the black-domed unit.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
yes. it is the black round unit is the compressor. and the plastic box in front of or on the side of the compressor is the inverter.

If the compressor is hot to the touch then it is over heating and shutting down. Replace the inverter and main control and that will fix the issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the control board located?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Control board should be in the same area. But just under a metal box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any chance that it may be something else? Could it be in defrost mode and it needs to be changed back to regular mode?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
No. Nothing else would cause this. If the compressor is hot then that means it was trying to run and is overheating. And on your model, if the compressor is hot then it would not be in defrost mode at all. If it was the compressor would be cold.

Believe me, I see this alot and you will need the board and inverter to fix the ref.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions or have more concerns with this machine please feel free to get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon --

I had a local appliance tech come out yesterday. He thinks that it is the compressor that needs to be replaced. He touched the compressor and said it is running hotter than normal. Although the compressor is under warranty, he quoted me $800 in labor to install it. The compressor is on order. The refrigerator is running fine now, 0 degrees in freezer and 34 in frig. What do you think of his diagnosis?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is a very likely possibility. Especially if the ref was running like this for a few days.

Again, if the inverter on the compressor was not starting the compressor like it should or at all, then after a while of not starting the computer will sense the ref getting warmer and try to start the compressor on its own. This puts a heavy strain on the compressor and will over heat. Causing the compressor to get very hot to the touch.

Now when the tech was there he should've tested the compressor while he was there to know for sure if it was good or not. This way he didnt have to go through the trouble of replacing it. And yes, labor price of more then $800 for the labor is way high. Almost double the normal price in fact.

Even though the compressor is covered under warranty, does not mean that it is bad and should be replaced. You may just need the inverter. And we will not know until you either replace the inverter or have the tech come back and test the compressor.

Now if the machine is running fine, then we are pretty sure the compressor and sealed system components are good. Especially since the ref is keeping cold. I would guess that the power from the main board to the inverter that starts the compressor is shorting out.

If the machine is working fine now I wouldn't mess with it or replace anything just yet. Keep and eye on it and if it happens again I would first check and replace the inverter.