Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a whirlpool side by side ec3jhaxrl13.

Customer Question

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a whirlpool side by side ec3jhaxrl13. Freezer lights are not working , everything else is in order. Bulbs are good. What should I check?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.

Jon :

Hey Ken, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

Please allow me two minutes to look up your model number so I can view the diagrams to help you better. It is just the freezer lights that are not working?

Jon :

OK.

Jon :

got the model up in front of me now.

Jon :

If you push the door switch in and out a few times does it come on at all?

Jon :

If so, then you know you have a faulty door switch and that would need to be replaced.

Jon :

If not, and most likely it will not come on, then you will need to check the voltage to the light receptacles. If there is power to the light receptacles and still no lights, then you need to change the receptacles. But if there is no power to the receptacles then the main board will need to be changed.

Jon :

It is highly unlikely that you have two bad receptacles so I am betting on the main board being damaged or shorted out. At least the relay for the lights.

Jon :

Did you leave a door open for several hours?

Jon :

Here is the part info you will need for parts.

Jon :

light receptacles are part numbers(NNN) NNN-NNNNand 2155597.

Jon :

Parts can be ordered at either www.repairclinic.com or www.searspartsdirect.com

Jon :

Here is the part number for the main board

2307037

Jon :

after checking the voltage to the receptacles you will know exactly what you need. Now if you dont have a meter to do these checks then please tell me if you had a build up of ice in and around the lights?

Jon :

if you have or had a lot of ice around the lights then the ref should be unplugged for about 48 hours to properly defrost and this will in turn fix the light issue as well.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

There is no ice. On this unit where is the door switch located? Does the infrared switch , the flap that blocks the beam to disable the ice maker when the door is open,also switch the light relay on the main board?Or is there another switch somewhere?

Jon :

the door switch is located on the left side of the freezer door wall. Open the freezer door and look about midway down the left wall and you should see the white switch that gets pushed in when the door closes. And will open when the door is opened.

Customer:

I will be right back

Jon :

Once you find that switch push it in a few times to see you can get the lights come on. And while you are doing that, pushing the light switch in, tell me if you hear the evaporator fan motor running behind the interior wall of the freezer.

Jon :

ok. I'll be here

Jon :

And yes, the door will also control the infared door switch for the ice maker. That is actually the ice maker on off switch for this machine. When the door is closed it will make contact with that plastic piece that swings open when the door is opened. It will then send a light beam across to the receiver part of the board and will tell the ice maker the door is closed and ok to make ice. Now once the ice fills the bucket, the ice will reach a certain level and block the beam of light across to the receiver and shut the ice maker off. This way it doesn't over fill.

Jon :

The only other switches on your machine that will control the lights are for the ref cabinet. But no, besides those, there are no other relays or switches that control the lights in your model machine. So if the light receptacles are good, you are looking at a bad main board.

Jon :

which again, is the more common part to fail in this model machine. Much more common then two receptacles going bad. I change about 2-3 boards a week and have changed about 2-3 recepatcles in 13 years of repairing Whirlpool machines.

Customer:

Jon, once again I have proven I don't know squat about these things. The switch is on the top of the freezer cabinet. It was iced up and I freed it up and they work now. The ice buildup was coming from a small air leak in the door gasket,there was an object hanging down from the top of the freezer and interfering with the door seal.

Jon :

Have you had a power surge or outage to the home recently? Sometimes that kind of power interruption to the home can cause these boards to short out like this.

Jon :

AHHH! there you go. Glad I could help you find the issue.

Jon :

Just be sure to keep the door gasket area clear. otherwise this could happen again.

Jon :

If you need anything else please just get back to me here and I will help you more.

Customer:

Thanks for your input, let me rate you so you can get paid,Thanks Ken

Jon :

And please also remember to rate my performance positively now below this chat with ok service or better rating so that I may get credit for helping you. And again, if you have more questions after rating me positively, please come came back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

You got it Ken. Have a good night.

Customer:

Thanks,you to

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.
Ken,

Thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Should you need any other help or have other questions or concerns about this machine please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.