Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a GE model JBP78 Electric Oven and Range. It will not

I have a GE model JBP78 Electric Oven and Range. It will not broil or Self clean but works fine otherwise any idea of what is wrong
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Sounds like the control board has suffered a error, It's likely that a relay is bad causing the unit not to go into self clean, This can be verified by the oven working in bake mode.

If you can give me the full model number from the sticker inside the drawer I can look up the part number for you.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please reply with any further questions you may have.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The full model number is XXXXX 11

Can you tell me where this part is located? Is is easy to install?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The control board is also called the clock, It is located inside the control panel.

Can you check that model number please, it does not appear to be coming up on my system, you may have mistaken a s for a 5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The number is XXXXX it appears as follows

J BP78 Y5BB 11

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You found that number on a sticker to the left or right inside the drawer? the sticker also had the serial number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right side as you are looking at the unit - S/n is AV230842G

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok for some reason it's not coming up on any of my systems peter, No matter it may just be a little older and be on micro film, Take that model number to a local appliance parts store and order the EOC (also called clock)

You would need to pull the unit out from the wall, Take the panel off at the rear of the control panel, Once off you will see the control board. At this point it will be just a matter of a couple of screws and swapping wires from old to new control.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ho much is the paprt and if it does not correct the problem will they accept a return

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It is the only part that can cause this really, The part will cost any thing from $150 - $250

As I say Peter this is just a guess because this model number is XXXXX coming up on my system.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike, if I reply that the service was GOOD will I have to pay? I do not feel you answered my concern because you could not find my unit in your system (not your fault)

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I have told you where the problem is Peter and how to fix it, Through no fault of my own I cant find the model number at any of the parts web sites.

If you would like I can give you the link to some parts outlets and you can see for yourself.

If you rate me ok service or above you will be paying me for my time and effort in this matter, Please be fair and rate me ok service or better so I gain credit for my time.

If you rate me below this it could stop me from helping customers in the future.

Thanks
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.