Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am recieving an f21 code when running diagnostic mode on

I am recieving an f21 code when running diagnostic mode on my kenmore elite HE5t washing machine. This happens during the c:07 check. I ran diagnostics because I was getting the f21 and suds errors. Is have already removed the lower front panel and verified that the drain hose, drain filter are clear (found a child's sock in it). The impellers in the pump seem fine. I am able to spin them manually and no visible damage. I have already tried leaving it un plugged for thirty minutes. I checked the pump and I am getting between 13 and 18 ohms. Anfy thoughts on next steps?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So when you get the F21 or suds error, if you open the door, was there still any visible water inside the tub?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes....I have had to use my shop vac several times... When I ran the rinse/spin mode like suggested without adding additional detergent it just made the water level higher
OK so you'll need to test power at the drain pump before the error code appears. If you have 120 volts volts, then your drain pump would need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. Whether the impeller seems good or not and the resistance checks good---that unfortunately doesn't mean that the pump is creating the pressure needed to drain properly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. So how do I test the voltage going into the pump as you suggest.
You would need a multimeter set to AC voltage, and just test between the 2 wires going to the pump when the drain pump is supposed to be running to see if you have 120 volts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do I have to connect it all up, try to run a test and check the voltage as the pump comes on?

If it is all connected up then I don't have access to the wiring without taking off some of the insulation...if I don't physically hoke it all up I end up with water everywhere....

So that being said, do I physically hook up all the hoses, close the plug, then turn on the washing machine and run short test load, with my volt meter set up to read the voltage coming through the harness.... This would mean no power to,the pump since harness would not be connected...
So you don't need to connected it all back up. You can just leave the 2 wires from the pump disconnected and test between the 2 wire ends to see if you're getting 120 volts when the pump should come on.

You will need to connected all the hoses and such again because the pump will not turn on without water inside the tub. Just run a quick test cycle without the pump wires connected and test for power. If it jumps to 120 volts, then you know the pump is the problem because even if the pump is running, it's not creating the pressure needed to drain out and it's getting the correct voltage.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...so it sat around 112 v, then jump to 123 v ... I assume this means that I need a new pump
Aye, that voltage is definitely good so unfortunately you would need a new pump I'm afraid to say.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the part number handy?
I can look one up for you if you'd like. But I will need the full model number to do so. The model is located on a sticker just inside the door way and it will start with 110 . XXXXXXXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
110.47798800
The part number is XXXXX Below is a link to the part yu'd need to order.

CLICK HERE